KVM / USB-C hub for desktop + laptop setup suggestions

Hi,
I am looking for a simple solution to switch easily between my laptop (lenovo thinkpad T14) and my desktop (3600X, RX 5700XT). I have 2 1080p 144Hz, keyboard and mouse to switch between those.
I had a look at the dual monitor KVM, but I have 2 issues with it regarding the connection to the laptop. First it is not a 1 cable solution, I will have to add the charger somehow. Second, I don’t see how I can easily connect the 2 monitors to the laptop : I only have 1 HDMI out, and If I go through the thunderbolt port, well then I have to add a dock or something just to get 2 monitor output.

Right now, the only solution I can think of is the following : a thunderbolt dock with 2 hdmi outs, 2 usbs and power delivery capability that I can connect to the laptop to get a 1 cable solution. Then I can use a simple USB-C cable to connect the dock to the desktop to get the keyboard and mouse (monitors connected separately using DP). My concern with this solution is : when the dock is plugged to the usb-c of the motherboard (MSI B550M Mortar Wifi), is there any risk of damage ?

I appreciate any solutions, suggestions, opinions and judgement you can have :slight_smile:

Thanks

EDIT : For anyone who might be interested, I ended up buying a simple USB C hub with 2 HDMI ports and USB-PD capable and a UGREEN USB switch. I have keyboard and mouse plugged into the USB switch and I should be able to use this utility to switch the monitors from the USB switch (not tested yet). I am limited at 1080p60Hz when using the laptop, but it is not an issue for me.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.