KVM, USB-C 10Gb: rear USB-3.0 port not working; faulty?

Hey there; I’m having an issue with my new 2-PC USB-C 10Gb KVM, it’s making me think it’s faulty, as anything plugged into the front USB-3.0 port works just fine. Move it to the back port though, and nothing.

My setup is:

• PC1: Lenovo P14s AMD Laptop, connected with a Startech USB-C 3.2 cable
  • PC2: AMD desktop PC with a MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk motherboard, connected with a Startech “active” USB-C 3.1 cable

On both machines, devices plugged into the rear USB-3.0 port will not function, but the same devices plugged into the front port work without issue. I’ve tried just plugging in a mouse, a keyboard, and a webcam, and a thumb drive with the same results. Displayport is working fine between both machines, and switching is also working fine. But the rear port seems dead.

I haven’t been able to test out any of the USB-HID ports as they seem to hate my keyboard and mouse (not entirely a surprise as they’re QMK-based and I haven’t recompiled it with n-key rollover disabled; I also don’t really plan to) but as I’ve not been able to use any HID device, I have not changed any settings on the KVM: it’s as it came out of the box.

I feel as though I’ve exhausted my troubleshooting options. Any ideas, or is it faulty?

Edit to mention: PC1 is on Linux and PC2 is on Windows 10, so no commonalities with OS between them.

There’s an internal e fuse that takes a solid minute to clear. Unplug from power and USB for 1 min the replug.

I’m also wary of things like active USBC cables. Try a USB3 a to c cable. Not all c ports on motherboards are good chipsets.

That appears to have resolved the issue, thanks tons. This active cable appears to be working well for the moment, but I’ll take heed of that and swap it out should I encounter any strange behaviors or malfunctions.

1 Like

that solving the issue means “something” did bad things in that port and the kvm shut down the port to protect itself. maybe/maybe not active cable related just keep an eye on it for strangeness. the brand of active cable is good at least so maybe its fine but when troubleshooting less variables is good.

also a lot of the time the dedicated type c port NOT from the cpu is strangely not as good as the type A ports. The direct-to-cpu usb powers are always the best with the kvm if you know which ports go where.

That’s good to know, both on the type C port and on something having tripped that: I think it might’ve been the capture card I initially plugged into it. It’s an Elgato Camlink 4K; I wonder if it just tried to pull too much power?

Anyhow: I’ll try and get a hold of a suitable USB-A to C cable. This USB-C cable’s ends where the chipsets live are semi-obnoxious anyway, so it’s probably worth doing.

Thanks!

could be too much power; powered hub will work fine in a usb3 port. I’ve had a couple other reports of the elgato working best with a powered hub. not tooooo surprising really

Great; I have a powered hub made by Anker that I was planning to get back on the desk anyway, and will switch over to that.