KVM Switch recommandation

Hey there,

Hope everyone is doing well. I work in a small company and we are looking to acquire KVM Switches to switch from docking stations to some DELL thin clients.

I saw that L1T makes a KVM for thin clients, that to my understanding, offers EDID emulation.

My question is the following: why do KVMs for thin clients need EDID emulation? What’s different in thin clients compared to typical computers?

Please let me know, have a great week :smiley:

Gaétan

A thin client is a server-based environment. It’s essentially a local terminal that’s connected to a remote server. They’re not plug-and-play and struggle with a DisplayPort connection. Since they are not a “normal computer” how they operate and what they’re compatible with is very proprietary. There are very few KVMs out there that work with these, and we had to specifically cater hardware and firmware for this to work.

EDID monitor emulation is the hardware fix for bad software. It’s one of the main reasons this KVM is compatible with the thin clients. The significance of EDID is that it is fully emulating your monitor. In some cases, display problems may occur due to incorrect EDID communication between display monitor and the unit or inappropriate EDID data programmed by display manufacturers. Being that thin clients are proprietary and whatnot, using monitor emulation is the only way a KVM is going to work and have a stable connection.

Perfect. Thanks so much for your detailled reply :smiley:

Welcome! Lmk if you have anymore questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes