KVM setup help

Apologies if the tags or category are incorrect for this! This is my first post on the forum, seemed like the best place to ask this question.

I just received my L1T KVM switch that I am using as a KM (overkill i know but I wanted it for potential future use) and although the USB passthrough seems to be working fine from the laptop, my desktop doesn’t seem to be handling it as I would hope. I have verified the cables are all working by swapping, updated the BIOS, updated windows, downloaded the chipset drivers for my motherboard, and still no luck getting the desktop to recognize anything. I have tried the USB-A and USB-C ports from the back of the motherboard, no change there either.

Does anyone else have any suggestions that I may not have tried yet?

Relevant PC Specs:
MSI B650 Tomahawk WIFI
Ryzen 7 7800X3D
32GB DDR5 6400MHz

Using:

• “USBc KVM Switch v2 (with USB Power Delivery / 70 watts)” from Level 1 Techs Store, model number shows as CAAB-P3112-12 on the user manual.

• RAMPOW USB C to USB C Cable [100W, USB 3.2 Gen 2X2, 20Gbps, 6.6ft]

Hi thank you for reaching out :slight_smile:

You’re meaning it’s not working at all right? You don’t hear a beep(s) from the OS saying that it’s detected something? Any popups in the bottom right of the screen about USBs?

The KVM is listed as * “USBc KVM Switch v2 (with USB Power Delivery / 70 watts)” on the Level 1 Techs Store
Model number shows as CAAB-P3112-12 on the bottom of the unit

I do get the windows usb connect/disconnect noise when plugging in and removing, but all devices that I have plugged in to the KVM itself are not being recognized (No use the mouse, keyboard, etc. and usb disconnect sounds when those are unplugged from the KVM)

Can you try power cycling your KVM? Just in case you’ve accidentally hit a hotkey or something. Unplug it, let it sit there about a minute, an plug it back in

No affect unfortunately. I do think it is something to do with the desktop itself, none of these issues appear on my work laptop. I just cant for the life of me figure out why.

I had been using a crappy ugreen KM prior and it worked I just hated how it looked on the desk, and having hotkeys sounded really nice.

Hmm. So, have you tried taking the end out of the PC and plugging it into the laptop? Just to make sure it’s not a problem with the port.

Yes, tried multiple ports on both computers with multiple cables. Same thing each time

@wendell any ideas? Seems to be his motherboard that’s posing an issue.

Need to enable the igpu, the usbc on this that has the DP symbol is the one you want to use. If you use it with the kvm and the kvm asks the motherboard if it does display it says yes, but the display isn’t ready yet. so the kvm waits. and waits. and waits. and waits. and waits.

If you enable the igpu that should fix you right up.

Unfortunately the same behavior. I set the Integrated Graphics to “Force” in the bios, I am showing activity in task manager with 40MB of dedicated GPU memory, no change

that might be your usbc cable then, not all usbc cables carry dp, usb, etc. so the pc might be negotiating for display that’s not there. does it work on the laptop?

Both cables I have work for the laptop. I also tried this with a thunderbolt cable I had around just to test other options and had the same behavior for both machines with it

Do I have to have a display connected for it to work?

Normally, no, but can you try that for experimentation? Usually just having the igpu enabled (but nothing connected) is sufficient. since the laptop works. Not sure why the desktop would do that.

Ill give that a shot. Would using one of the type-a usb 3 ports on the motherboard maybe work better? All of my type-a to type-c cables are USB 2 and they dont seem to recognize at all, maybe that would stop the display negotiation. If so ill order one of those to test out

No, you might have to email me wendell at level1techs.com and setup some more tests. I can probably troubleshoot what issue you’re having and roll the fix for your specific circumstances into a firmware update.

Gotcha, I went ahead and sent over that email on Thursday for whenever you have time to look at it. Thank you for the help!

1 Like