KVM Selection

Hello there,

I am hoping for some assistance in selecting a KVM, I have read through the ultimate guide. However it is a lot to digest and I’m still not 100% sure if the solution I’m looking for is available on the store, so any assistance would be really appreciated.

My current setup consists of the following;

1. Work laptop - HP ProBook x360 435 G7
    * HDMI Port
    * USB SuperSpeed port
    * USB Type-C SuperSpeed port and DisplayPort™ connector
  2. Personal laptop - Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-544R
    * HDMI Port
    * USB Type-C port supporting: USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
    * USB port with power-off charging

I don’t have monitors yet since I’m buying the whole set up together, I’m currently considering buying two MSI MP275Q 27 but can change if it restricts my KVM options.

Thank you in advance.

Hey thank you for reaching out!

So, from what it seems here:

This laptop ^ only has 1 display output option right?

If you’re going to get 2 monitors, I’d recommend getting a dock of some kind.

The most cost efficient route is probably to get our HDMI 2.0 KVM (it will support the 1440p 100hz monitors so no worries there).

You’d need a dock that has 2 HDMI outputs for the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-544R to hook to the KVM.

Then for the HP ProBook x360 435 G7, use the HDMI output and a USBC to HDMI adapter for the outputs to the KVM.

1 Like

That is so unbelievably helpful, thank you so much!

And yes I believe the HDMI port from the Acer is the only display output.

Do you have any recommendations for the USB-C to HDMI adapter and dock?

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

For the dock, hmmm i’d have to look more. There’s a lot of options out there. Dell, MoKiN, Anker are pretty popular brands. I would be wary of cheap off-brands. Expect ~$100+ for a quality dock with the 2x HDMI you need.

Be careful when looking at docks, they will advertise the “highest support HDMI resolution” in the listing title, but fail to notify you until the fine print that’s just for single monitor use only. If you have 2 or 3 monitors, they’ll drop the refresh rate.

Like this listing I found. It’s HDMI 2.0 (which will work for you) but it goes down when a second monitor is added.

Example (not suitable for you)

^ As for the USB-C to HDMI, it seems like the one I linked to should be fine

Hi Amber,

Thanks again for that. After a bit of digging I’ve found out that my Acer doesn’t actually support docking stations (with display output). The HDMI port is the only display port that the laptop has - which is a pain, but I think I’ve come up with a fix - just want to run it by you and get your opinion.

It was my plan to build my own PC in a few months time, so when I do I’ll simply swap out my personal laptop with that. However, in the time being if I use the one HDMI port from my Acer to the KVM will that still display to one monitor? If so, I think that’s an acceptable solution for the time being. Just want to make sure it won’t mess with the KVM if one device only has 1 x HDMI and 1 x USB input whilst the other has the 2 x HDMI and 1 x USB.

Thank you for all your help!!

Yes that is what would happen. Depending on which monitor output row you have it plugged into, it will display to that monitor. Won’t mess with anything :slight_smile: All of the inputs are isolated from each other. They don’t know if other cables are plugged in or not and don’t talk in any way.

1 Like