KVM Presale questions/recommendation

KVM Model: TBD

I need to connect 2 dell notebooks to mouse/keyboard and monitor. Unfortunately one (dell precision) does not have full size DP port - only mini port and the other one (lattitude) only has HDMI
both have ucb-c and precision thunderbolt (not 100 sure about lattitude but it came with docking station usc-c to everything including DP) but I never tried connecting monitor via usb-c
the monitor is a good one Eizo it supports usb-c, DP, hdmi

I used its built in switch plus usb swithch and it was ok but the usb-switch seem to be affecting other usb ports on my notebook if such thing is possible (my HDD docking is not recognized with usb switch connected) so I was looking for a reliable product and came across your company. I would appreciate you you could recommend one of your products (I was considering 1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Single Monitor - Two Computer 10G until I realized my notebook does not have DP) I guess I could try USBC KVM or in the worth scenario your KM

anyway your recommendation is greatly appreciated

thank you,
Alex

Hi thank you for reaching out :slight_smile:

So, If you use the DisplayPort you’re going to need to do some adapting, which might go fine, but these things can be fickle. The USB-C KVM might be worth it to you and more straightforward in setup. The benefit of the USB-C KVM is that it would charge your laptops and connect with 1 display & data input.

Can you list these? How many monitors? What refresh rate & resolution are you going for?

Hello Amber,

Thenk you for getting back to me!

• Two laptops - dell precision 7760 with mini DP port and Dell Latitude 5590 with HDMI port (I think active 4K@60Hz) both should be able to do video over usbc (thunderbolt?)
  • 1 monitor EV 2785 3840x2160@60Hz. I would like to switch to a 6K monitor at some point when good options become available but need a solution now
  • mouse and keyboard just basic wired USB.
  • USB headset but it is not that important

I work 10-12 hours a day on my precision so perfect video is a must. Second laptop I switch to every now an then and sometimes work on it for a longer period of time
It would be nice to switch video as well rather than fiddle with monitor controlls every time after switching mouse/keyboard but perfect video is a higher priority. if all the converters may introduce any noise flickering or I will go plain USB. I had it that way but it was an inexpensive (relative to your product) setup which appears to affect other USB ports after a while so I disconnected it to be safe

I thought usbc kvm key feature is video over usbc which may be what I need given absence of full size DP on my computers? Charging is nice (less cables) but not critical precision has a big power supply (do not remember wattage but big) I just never tried video over usbc and do not know if there are any pitfalls or picture quality issue. dedicated video ports seemed safer choice in my uneducated opinion :slight_smile:

Alex

This would be fine for the USB-C KVMs, but I would warn you since you mentioned 6K, it’s max is 4k. If you get that KVM you won’t be able to upgrade to 6k. So, if you do the DP 1.4 route, your compatible res/refresh list would be:

7680 x 4320 @ 60Hz (4:4:4) ( DSC )
7680 x 4320 @ 60Hz (4:2:0)
5120 x 2880 @ 60Hz (4:4:4)
5120 x 1440 @ 120Hz (4:4:4)
3840 x 2160 @ 144Hz (4:4:4)
3840 x 2160 @ 120Hz (4:4:4)
2560 x 1440 @ 144Hz (4:4:4)
2560 x 1440 @ 120Hz (4:4:4)
2048 × 2048 @ 60 Hz (4:4:4) (2K x 2K)

This will require some good cables.

For the mini dp → dp:

For the latitude, you said it has a docking station with displayport out. That would be good nice it wouldn’t require an adapter.

Without the docking station, you’d need an active HDMI → DP adapter:

ALSO make sure your cables are as short as possible to the KVM, then KVM to the monitor.

Thank you Amber! Let me think about it. 6K monitors are very slow coming for all I know there won’t be anything for another few years. The USBC KVM is tempting simple and reducing cable clutter.
With DP 1.4 would USBC to DP cable for lattitude be a simpler conversion than HDMI to DP (if I understand correctly USBC video is DP over USBC) could not post links but amazon search on usbc to display port returns plenty

BTW usbc ports on both precision and lattitude are marked as thunderbolt if it is of any use…

thanks again for your assistance

1 Like

No problem :slight_smile: let me know if you have any more questions