KM Switch - Keyboard backlight stays on after all PCs powered down

I bought myself one of the 4-port USB KM Switches the moment they restocked and there’s been a bit of a learning curve in using it!

The current issue I’m having that I haven’t found any answers for in the forums so far is that the LEDs on my keyboard remain active when all 3PCs connected to the KM switch are powered down. My keyboard backlight is quite bright and I’m concerned that over many, many years (it would be really cool if neither the keyboard or KM switch died for a VERY long time) some LED or another might burn out . . . though maybe this isn’t a thing anymore? ALSO it’s kinda bright in a dark room.

I know that since this is a powered KM switch it’s likely just power passthrough going to the keyboard (It’s a Keychron K8, hooked up via one of the USB HID ports at the back of the unit).

Is there a way to stop this from happening? Maybe a command code shortcut that isn’t in the manual?

This is my first time posting so please go easy on me lol

Unplug the keyboard or check if there are sleep settings on the keyboard itself.

No sleep settings on the keyboard itself, unfortunately :frowning_face:

My cables are hidden behind my monitor so ideally I’m not unplugging the keyboard every evening and then plugging it back into the KM every morning. I know it’s probably such a minor issue to most people but the whole point of getting the KM switch was so there’s as little inconvenience as possible.

I’ve already had to buy a second mouse because my Logitech one isn’t detected by Logitech’s G Hub software when using mouse roaming. So I have a work mouse and an off-hours mouse. Ugh.

I hope there’s a command code shortcut or something that I’m just missing :frowning:

What keyboard is it? Most have some key-combination to switch off the backlight.

It’s a Keychron K8. It’s got a key combo to decrease brightness with 3-4 steps. Or I COULD press the lighting key enough times to cycle the LED pattern so they turn off but it’s got like 12 different lighting options I have to cycle through before it turns off completely.

They Keychron’s got a power slider on the left side but I try to touch that as little as possible because I’ve done some sound dampening modifications inside the keyboard case that caused the power slider to snap off the keyboard’s PCB. I soldered another switch back on but it was a hassle to do so I don’t want to be flipping that 600+ times over the course of a year and then have to solder another one on.

I know it seems like such a nitpicky thing. I REALLY like the quality of the KM switch itself and the mouse roaming is a godsend but it’s just one of those really tiiiiiny things that’s a minor inconvenience that adds up daily. I kinda want this to be the perfect solution to my routine but I think I’m going to have to adjust my routine a bit to accommodate some of the switch’s idiosyncrasies.

1 Like