Kinda new to Linux

That’s true, but with the dkms packages, I haven’t had an issue with Nvidia since 340 maybe?

Threadripper worked pretty much fine out of the box. I’ve got a 1950x and I’ve been fine on any kernel 4.10 and newer ( haven’t tested older)

2 Likes

also, no. It’s more you’re given a lego set and few instructions, and you just wait for hours for the legos to snap together while you learn close to nothing. :wink:

For the core system, yeah, after that, you’re pretty much on your own. If all you need is bash vim and wget, you’ll do just fine with it.

1 Like

managing packages with yOuR oWn HuMaN MeMoRy

Thanks, just got a second Sansumg 970 Evo Plus, so will put windows on one and popso on the other and split my 4 1t nvmes so i have 2 raid 0 drivers.

1 Like

The guy is into MMO’s he can handle the grind ! :smiley:

Just btw I am not sure most of those games even run on Linux in any shape or form.

Windows VM with VFIO might be a solution … but Windows with Linux in a Virtual Box would be the best scenario.

1 Like

Why not provide a serious answer from the start, like you just did in the first place.

Why do you consider my previous comment not serious ? Also why so serious Woofer ?

1 Like

Re: game compatibility.

Works wonderfully.

It’s ehhhh. Seems like it doesn’t work with Nvidia cards on Linux.

Works fairly well.

Seems to work fairly well.

Works pretty well

Works pretty well, performance hit noted.

I got all this info from protondb.com

4 Likes

If you have a spare PC around why wait? Just dive in and see which distro you like best or am comfortable.
Also avoid Distro hopping, where you can get so caught up in finding “the perfect distro” you don’t enjoy your computer and gaming on it because you spend so much time with the OS.

2 Likes

Yeah, while an existing system may not be exactly what you want, I’d give it a go on the spare hardware before you sink a bunch of money into a new system.

1 Like

Honestly I wouldn’t agree to that. I haven’t actively used Linux longterm before and I started with Fedora, and it’s pretty easy to pick up if you’re willing to read.
I used Ubuntu based stuff in the past and always had some issue or another after a few weeks, now with Fedora everything just kinda works. Packages are also a lot more up-to-date, that helps especially if wanting to start gaming on Linux itself (i.e. WINE)

1 Like

Already bought parts for new workstation. Currently using Dell R5500 with 2 Xeon X5680 and 64gb of ram, just is very slow with windows.

1 Like

Hello @rlmurphy69! Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

If the options are Fedora and PopOS I would pick PopOS. Like sgtawesomesauce said Fedora is great distro, but Pop might be bit more beginner friendly. Just pick one that feels better and roll with it, learn and tinker.

You could also test drive ditros in VM first, if you want to test out some things before installing.

1 Like

I have been using PopOs on my Surface Pro 6 already and am getting use to it already.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s been my experience in the past as well, but people keep swearing to me that it’s better now, and I’m inclined to believe them since Fedora used to be an unstable distro as well. I just think that it’s a difference in the criticality of bugs that you tend to encounter. GPU drivers not dkmsing on new kernels? That’s a fedora thing. file permissions errors on removable drive? That’s an Ubuntu thing. Which one of those leaves you with an unusable system?

I would argue neither because you can always just boot into the previous kernel with fedora, but then learning how to fix the issue is probably less noob friendly than file permissions. :man_shrugging:

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend workstation specifically because it seems to have more idiot friendly options… which is especially nice for an idiot like me… but really thats how these discussions always go right? everyone has their own ideal vision of what they think the noob needs.

1 Like

Exactly. That’s why I’m trying to lay it out there for OP so he can make a decision that he’s comfortable with.

:thonk: >>im still waiting for this btw

didnt you do a write up for this exact thing?

Hmmm.

oh yeah.

Shows where my brain’s at tonight.

3 Likes