Killed Cortana and now updates and search bar are broken

Didn’t we have a shutup10 guide thread on here?

Windows tends to be very reliable these days so long as your not screwing around with system files.

So… count this as a vote against using shutup10.

I just had a look at that software, it seems more reliable to just change the windows settings yourself in the settings menu.

So +1 to that vote.

Sorry … I did not try to jink. Been there done that.

There is a way but… with every windows update there is a chance windows will break your system for you… even if it is stable. You wanna keep edits to registry as light as possible. Manually shut down certain services. A good firewall that firewalls both directions is a must. Use of a few select third party tools will achieve what you ask. With that said…

Not something you should do to a work machine per say… More than likely break something needed beyond simple tasks or have to port something in manually.

It is something I would do to a gamer surfer machine.

It’s all good. Yeah Windows definitely doesn’t take kindly to tinkering. Luckily I don’t save anything important on the boot drive. Decided to update to a preview build which did resolve the first problem. Now the notification button on the bottom right stopped working and telemetry is increased by default with the preview build. :man_facepalming: Think I’ll sit this one out until the next major release is available.

Most of what shutup10 does isn’t available in the built-in settings. So, no.

Shutup10 is very reliable, many people used it for years including me, it’s fine. Just stick to the recommended (green) switches and you’re all good.

1 Like