Killed Cortana and now updates and search bar are broken

After I renamed the file Cortana could no longer start up. But the file cannot be renamed unless the task was ended. That gave me half a second to rename the file which prevented Cortana from relaunching. Unfortunately it caused more problems than it fixed.

Give it a little time… maybe you got lucky.

Yeah, they allow you to turn off Cortana, but W10 still contacts Bing with every local file search. To fix that, you need to block her in your firewall.

Psst. switch to the dark side, the penguin side. :joy:

I do run Linux primarily. Still refuse to ditch all my native Windows applications though. I’m no freedom preaching zealot but Windows does get on my nerves some times.

What applications are you running that you really need windows for?

If you look in my bio, I still run a dual boot system. And it’s not a loaded question, its a legitimate question that varies for every person. In my case? All of my needed tools for work will run just fine under WINE, I only ever keep the windows partition around for SLI gaming or until some fix is found for issues like steaming errors from certain addons for WoW (like TradeSkillManager).

I don’t use Ring Central, GoTo Meeting, etc. Never had a need nor the requirement.

What’s with the snark man?

No, it isn’t:

See above. The Windows section isn’t here for people to spread their Linux propaganda. It’s to ask questions or seek help about the Windows operating system.

I’mma just gonna dump a mute and move on, have an nice life man.

@anon79053375 easy there, there’s no need to get worked up over it. @anon34810869 admindev is correct, the windows section of the forum is to help users with windows related questions. Suggesting to switch to Linux because of a Cortana issue seems unnecessary.

Jinxed me there. :disappointed: It was working again. After a reboot Cortana is gone again and the search bar is locked up. Luckily I’ve learned from all the times I’ve bricked Windows and I keep my large files on a separate drive. Think I’ll bite the bullet this time and reinstall.

There is a system image option that I’ve used in the past. You can install Windows 10, install all of your applications, update the system, and the create a system image to restore to. Just keep a diff backup and apply the changes if you ever need to restore.

Just do a reset and install shutup10

Also you dont need the windows search with open shell. I prefer it to the w10 start menu anyway.

1 Like

Another vote for Shutup10 here too, it works well for the most part and prompts you to create a restore point before enabling - just in case.

1 Like

Didn’t we have a shutup10 guide thread on here?

Windows tends to be very reliable these days so long as your not screwing around with system files.

So… count this as a vote against using shutup10.

I just had a look at that software, it seems more reliable to just change the windows settings yourself in the settings menu.

So +1 to that vote.

Sorry … I did not try to jink. Been there done that.

There is a way but… with every windows update there is a chance windows will break your system for you… even if it is stable. You wanna keep edits to registry as light as possible. Manually shut down certain services. A good firewall that firewalls both directions is a must. Use of a few select third party tools will achieve what you ask. With that said…

Not something you should do to a work machine per say… More than likely break something needed beyond simple tasks or have to port something in manually.

It is something I would do to a gamer surfer machine.

It’s all good. Yeah Windows definitely doesn’t take kindly to tinkering. Luckily I don’t save anything important on the boot drive. Decided to update to a preview build which did resolve the first problem. Now the notification button on the bottom right stopped working and telemetry is increased by default with the preview build. :man_facepalming: Think I’ll sit this one out until the next major release is available.

Most of what shutup10 does isn’t available in the built-in settings. So, no.

Shutup10 is very reliable, many people used it for years including me, it’s fine. Just stick to the recommended (green) switches and you’re all good.

1 Like