Keys get stuck pressed when gaming

KVM Model:

D5E8EB0834


Problem:

When gaming, my keyboard will sometimes leave a key pressed when I let it go. If I hit the key again it will unstick. I have two peripherals connected to the KM: 1 Steelseries APEX Pro Wireless (2.4g) and 1 Steelseries Rival 650 Wireless (2.4). I have not tired it wired and it only happens intermittently when I am pressing multiple keys at the same time, like when moving my character and strafing.

Other Notes:

I tried to replicate this in other programs, like a word processor using similar movements, but was unable to replicate. It happens frequently in games though.

Try the problematic USBs in the blue compatibility USB ports? Also, try a long power cycle unplugging everything.

I have thoroughly troubleshot the product and here is what happens.

If I just connect the keyboard and mouse, there are no issues at all. The keyboard and mouse stay connected just fine and work as intended. When I connect the KM to the machine on any port, the KM will generally work fine in productivity apps (e.g., Microsoft Word). When I start to play games with the keyboard and mouse the port will start to flap the keyboard and mouse over and over rapidly. Sometimes I can unplug the KM from the back for a bit for it to resync and sometimes I have to reboot to get it to stop. The games that generally cause this are FPS games where lots of keys may need to be pressed simultaneously. I have tried the long power press, other cables, etc. to no avail. It’s very annoying.

Here is when it doesn’t happen. If I am playing games on a USB controller it doesn’t happen. If I am working in something like Photoshop it never happens. If I am writing code it never happens. I tried simulating game play motion in with lots of simultaneous keys and it doesn’t happen. I have tried disabling all unnecessary software like iCUE, which can have odd effects on USB, but that didn’t help. A friend of mine who turned me on to the product thinks the switch itself could be bad. I am wondering if it is still under warranty and if I can exchange, or if there are other troubleshooting techniques I can use because right now I am looking for alternatives, but the KM is really nice and convenient? Let me know.

Looking at my original post, I did try everything wired with the same effect.

Wait are you triggering the hotkeys on the kvm? Left control twice will put the kvm in waiting mode for what hotkey you’re going to press. Left control is used often in video games.

I apologize for my word vomit, here is exactly what is happening. I will first say that I have remapped left control to right control and I never press it in anything I am playing.

The original post suggested that keys were getting stuck. What is actually happening is the PC is losing connectivity to the KM. I am constantly hearing the beep of USB connect and USB disconnect when I am playing the game. I have tried different ports on the KM and they all behave the same way. If I switch channels to one of the other machines, the second and third machine work fine. Eventually, the USB connect and disconnect throw windows 11 into an error and I have to pull and reset the device to get it to come back. This behavior also happens in every USB port on my machine. I have tried them all. I thought it may be the power plan under windows, so I made sure it never puts USB to sleep.

Here is the oddest thing. Last night I took the keyboard and mouse out of the KM and plugged them directly into the PC. I left the KM attached, but it had nothing connected to it except the PCs that it normally controls. There was no input devices. Five minutes after the game starts the KM started receiving disconnects even though it didn’t have the gaming PC selected.

I had originally thought the keys were getting stuck, but when I thought that the sounds that indicate USB connect and disconnect were disabled. I usually disable them because they are annoying. The actual problem is the device is losing connectivity to the PC at random intervals. Sometimes it won’t happen in a day and sometimes, like yesterday, it happened so much I had to unplug it.

Can you get a video of this?

I have a video and the diagnostic log, but it says I am a new user and cannot upload. Is there some place you would like me to send both? You can see multiple disconnects in a span of 10 or so minutes. I was NOT using a keyboard and mouse through the KM to play and I had the device selector on the KM on another machine.