Keychron Q2 stopped working via HID port after firmware update (on MacOS)

KVM Model:

HDMI 2.1 KVM w/EDID & Serial Control - Dual Monitor - Four Computer

USB Interface (5-gigabit or 10-gigbit):

10G

Problem:

Yesterday, I updated my Keychron Q2 (QMK-based) to the latest firmware and everything seemed just fine while I was on my Windows machine. This morning, I switched to my work laptop (M2 Pro MacBook) they keyboard no longer functions. To make it very clear, the keyboard still works to switch inputs while on the HID USB port, just does not work in MacOS without switching to a normal USB3 port.

Other Notes:

I have not been able to find old FW to roll back keyboard, and it doesn’t seem like that should be necessary. I’ve also checked all connections and everything looks good.

I will note that prior to connecting to the MacBook, the USB travels through a CalDigit TS4, which doesn’t happen for Windows.

1 Like

Edit: just tested on my M1 Mac Mini (personal) and the keyboard is still working, so it may be an organizational policy at work or something up with the CalDigit TS4… Trying to validate…

disable nkey rollover? it’ll work via usb3 as well as you found out. maybe it stopped being a hid device in the new firmware

1 Like

I believe I’ve done that multiple times with the “Toggle NKRO” key in the VIA configuration page, and nothing has changed… To add, the computer doesn’t even seem to recognize that a USB device has been plugged in and there’s not anything super useful in the MacOS console logs outside of “persistent enumeration failures” message.

it’s kinda interesting that the keyboard still works for shortcut keys but Macos is being weird about it

2 Likes

N-key rollover is definitely off and the firmware is rolled back and tested with no success, very odd… Rolled firmware forward again and still no change on the MacBook, everything else is working as expected