Kernel Panic on startup

Hi everyone, I've been getting some kernel panics when ever I try to boot into linux using a USB stick. I can boot into windows fine and I can also play video games, but linux doesn't seem to work. I miss Linux so much.

It doesn't seem to be my memory. I've done a memtest on both RAM sticks (both, and individually). Also done the intel diagnostics tool, and it passed there. I'm not sure how accurate that test is.

Have you guys ever had this problem?

did you verify the checksum of the .iso/.img you downloaded?

1 Like

not to be insensitive, but I love the third line "RIP"... that speaks volumes! good luck with the system, wish I could help.

Ah no I haven't but I just checked using MD5 SUMS, and they match. Fine checking using MD5?

Definitely kinda funny!

Tired of windows unfortunately.

1 Like

yeah. are you checking the download or the written volume? did you use a tool or just dd to the drive? have you tried multiple distros?

I have been off windows since my windows 7 gaming rig was forced to have window 10 during their big push. I'v never looked back! I hope this clears up for you.

1 Like

Is booting from a particular USB stick the only way you start Linux?
Is that particular USB stick itself still healthy?
If you're not sure about the last question, buy a new USB stick and put a bootable Linux distro on it. Does that new stick start up normally? If so, that would isolate the fault to that particular stick or the binaries on it.

Another tack: mce = Machine Check Error. The phrase "Machine check events logged" is hopeful. Has a /var/log/mcelog.out file been written on the logging folder of the USB-stick linux? Can you pastbin it anywhere for us to see?

+1

new usb stick, try booting with a fedora live iso copied to usb stick according to the instructions given by fedora

you don't have to install fedora, it's just a matter of using a very modern kernel to eliminate hardware issues, just try the live version out

1 Like

The address ranges make me thing there is a failure related to the bootloader or a bootloader handoff. In which case, your system may be unable to boot from USB, or there is a failure related to the USB drive you are using. Check your USB drive integrity before continuing.

Is secure boot on or off? If on go into the BIOS and choose 'Other OS'

Hey everyone. Sorry for the slow replies. My brain is usually fried during the week.

• Secure Boot, Fast Boot, and the BIOS says "Other OS". There's no overclocking from what I'm gathering as well.
  • I used Rufus (that was recommended to me on the ubuntu website), also tried unetbootin, since that worked a while ago but I've read that it's not recommended to use these days
  • I tried a different USB stick, and different USB port, different distro (Mint. I can also try Fedora soon) and plugging out all my harddrives before booting and they all give me a kernel panic.

Could it be some sort of motherboard issue?

Just wanted to say thank you for being so patient in helping me. It's kind of nerve wrecking to ask for advice for these things lol, it's nice to know that people are so friendly and helpful when it comes to these things.

• did you verify that your download had matching sums?
  • mint is very likely to have the same problems as ubuntu, as it is based on ubuntu
  • trying something like fedora or opensuse is a good idea
  • you can also try using dd. just be careful to write to the corect drive.

Hi tkoham!
* I checked the ISO file using MD5 and it matched with the hash provided on the ubuntu website. Hope that's fine.
* Makes total sense. I'll give Fedora a try
* Currently only on Windows. I think the equivalent would be DD for windows or Win32DiskImager.

afaik rufus should be fine then -- it seems to be the de-facto windows standard. Try fedora or openSuse.