Kernel level anti-cheat: how to mitigate the security issues?

That was a problem because of admins trusting others to maintain the stuff they’re supposed to be maintaining :stuck_out_tongue:

Take Windows security, then let random people part of a crowd dictate security issues. That might be passable as a secondary system with checks, but the Crowdstrike thing iirc was specifically because of people using or allowing it full control. Big names wanting to take an easy way for security :stuck_out_tongue:

The only game I’d consider playing nowadays with notable anti-cheat is CoD. They aren’t hacking your system; they’re interested in selling you a video game to play, enjoy, and hopefully enjoy enough to spend more money :stuck_out_tongue: They don’t gain by taking your secrets, probably have more wealth than most people buying their game, and the long EULAs probably also say what they collect exactly.

WIth that said, osu! and Guild Wars 2 were caught doing full-screen screenshots (osu!) and sending a list of all actively-running processes (GW2), and they’re far less-reputable entities than CoD’s companies. With those games, the spyware came later, but were initially free of it.


If I know a game uses invasive anti-cheat, I’d look at the companies involved. If it’s some random F2P non-English game, no.

Vindictus kind-of fits this, but they’re longstanding. DJMAX Respect V also has something; NEOWIZ seems ok, DJMAX is a longstanding series, and they probably aren’t into hostile spyware. Vindictus and GW2 are NEXON which I don’t have too-high of convenience with, but no NEXON game I’ve played has done anything too-far yet.

I assume all multiplayer games have something invasive nowadays for checks. I haven’t ran into anything too gross, but worst-case if I find something, I’ll clean reinstall the OS and not entertain the game/associates again.