KDE permanently crashed?

I helped my friend get arch on his box. It was a pain in the ass but we did it and it works… sorta.

When he boots, KDE is fine. It appears to run for a while, but then it seems to kill its interface. Whatever window he has open he can interact with, but he can’t alt tab, can’t open yakuake, nothing. He has a 6600K and a 1060 and 16 GB ram so its not like he’s out of resources. I don’t use KDE personally so I have to ask here… What do?

I might just tell him to install XFCE or something and see if it does the same thing.

Aremis… We need logs of what is going on … obtain the system logs of the exact moment when it occurs. I assume you have access to these via the command line.

1 Like

Working on that.

Its possible you lack some dependency that causes a issue after some time… or a memory leak… Arch honestly isnt the best for KDE especially if he likes KDE… I recommend SUSE or fedora

It was just something for him to start playing with.

@FaunCB I do not recommend arch to start off with fedora and opensuse are better for this…the buntus baby you too much … Then once he is ready transfer him to arch. This is simply a pedagogical preference as we do not want to frustrate someone with the inner workings of a rolling release like arch … perhaps go with manjaro if you insist on arch being the base… its the best of both worlds

He’s not new to linux, just learning. He wanted something challenging and since he started on ubuntu and then debian and I use arch I thought that would work.

It seems to have stopped for now… We’ll get logs if it breaks. He says its only done it twice… Could have been a wonky package not loading right.

Im going to be frank he should learn on more industry accepted standards and grab skills that are useful to the marketplace. At least thats how I view learning… That it should leverage you an advantage in the market… Ex CentOS… OpenSUSE… Fedora/RHEL

Lol he’s not looking for a job. Just to learn.

We’ll drop a pastebin link in a while.

1 Like

I second SUSE especially if he is a new user.

Again, he’s not really all that new.