KDE Neon Upgrade to 20.04

So I was going to upgrade KDE Neon, but it won’t upgrade. It states that I have to update the system before I can upgrade, so I have used both the official ‘sudo pkcon refresh’ and ‘sudo pkcon update’. Have also used Discover and ‘sudo apt update’, ‘sudo apt upgrade -y’ and ‘sudo apt dist-upgrade -y’. It won’t work. I don’t really want to re-install the system, because I have to research what tweaks etc. that I have done and I also have to figure out which applications I have installed that wasn’t there to begin with. If Pop-OS had been KDE from the get-go, then I would had used that distro instead. Have any of you had problems with this?

Found a fix! It’s KDEnlive that is the problem. Had to upgrade it’s dependencies, but I use some third party applications which is not really supported in the newer version AND there was some PPA warning, and then the upgrade was canceled. Seems like I have to re-install anyway. "/

Glad you got it fixed, just a heads up there are a lot of issues it appears with some of the recent patches as well:

I dont know what neon does different from ubuntu but IIRC the way you’re intended to update ubuntu is with do-release-upgrade

Nothing much, it’s a KDE oriented distro, and serves to give out the newest KDE version as close to release as possible. One of the more stable distros from my point of view.

KDE Neon is pretty much the same thing as Kubuntu, but less stable.
This is because Kubuntu is using the LTS version of the KDE desktop unlike KDE Neon.
KDE Neon is actually not even ment to be used as a daily driver distro.
It’s mainly ment as a project from the kde dev team to show off,
the newest features they are working on for the kde desktop.
Of course you could use it as a distro.

Still good that you managed to figure out the issue.
And that you actually shared it up here,
that could be helpfull to other users as well. :slight_smile:

Neon is on LTS. None of what you said about it is true.

The package base is Ubuntu LTS yes.
But the version of KDE Desktop itself isn’t.
Unless that has been changed in the last 6 months or so?

KDe Neon was originally not even ment to be a distro.
But that has changed.

This isnt necessarily true

You should use KDE neon if you want the latest and greatest from the KDE community but the safety and stability of a Long Term Support release. When you don’t want to worry about strange core mechanics and just get things done with the latest features. When you want your computer as your tool, something that belongs to you, that you can trust and that delivers day after day, week after week, year after year. Here it is: now get stuff done.

Thats straight from their home page. No where does it say ‘project to show off’. Dont be a distro snob.

1 Like

I can’t say that I ever had this problem. It might have something to do with the fact that I’m not a masochist, so I don’t use KDE :wink:

1 Like

Thanks.

I would highly advice to watch your wordings a bit. :wink:

But yeah according to their website, they have an official distro release now days,
based on LTS.
So i was wrong in that regards.

I’ve said nothing wrong. I stand by that.

Hahaha. Well, I do prefer KDE Plasma before even coming near Gnome, even though Cinnamon was a really nice desktop. I have been a bit of a masochist from the start, my friend told me to start with using Mandriva or Debian, I defied that and started out with Slackware <3 … :smiley: Haven’t used that one for over 10 years now… because Microsoft Virus 7 was so interesting… For a while, when Virus 10 came out as a push, I found it irritating, but stayed since it was faster then 7 and when I read about all the information it was sending in the background without consent, I found it retarded to stay with Microsoft products, BUT I really want to play games, and most of the titles are so damn difficult to get running properly. Like Borderlands 2 have a bug so that I can’t play with Microsoft users, because it’s not registering the DLC’s installation in the game, but they are installed and playable. Then I saw the installation for BL3 and I felt like this is going to be quite easy, will buy it within days while it’s on a sale.

Some titles won’t even start and others I can’t play like I play them on the Virus OS. because the third party applications can’t sense the pre-installed games. Like EVE-Online. To be honest, I kind of stopped my daily streaming and gaming soon after I installed Linux. Started of with Mint, tested POPos where I tried to change it to be more like Mint, and I have been thinking of installing Manjaro, because it’s only updating applications etc and not the whole system like Neon, Ubuntu and other annual updates, but I kind of failed to set up my disk properly, so I will have to delete the home folder and other important folders in the process, so right now, I’m just kind of riding the last wave of KDE Neon, it’s just one more day of updates and then, I will have to update it to the new or re-install the computer. Don’t know which one I will prefer to do yet, but if I have to re-install, I’m probably going for something more masochistic then Neon. I need a stable system, that isn’t a Windows Copy to Linux like Ubuntu, learning to use pacman doesn’t sound too much fun, when I can barely remember the sudo commands at the moment, and I don’t even remember which changes I made to this system 1½ year ago. "/