Just stick your SSDs with tape

true lots of people think its fine with ssd’s (the magnets) but allot of them forget that copper wires inside a magnetic field have influence on the rise and fall times of the current , and also the current lags behid on the voltage, or vice versa, prolly not a huge effect, but we all know what google tought running datacenters at 10c more wouldnt have much of an effect either)

If you are worried about it, use shielded magnets. I bought a ten-pack of self-adhesive shielded magnets for a JPY equivalent of $6. Just think about where you are placing things a bit with what is sensitive to magnetism and it will be fine.

1 Like

on ssd’d no same with nvme. its a different storage technology that doesn’t rely on magnetism but rather
edit capacitors.

hdd’s however. that’s different. and best practice to keep em away from all kinds of magnets.

FTFY

2 Likes

Corollary : no moving parts, not sensitive to motion = just leave them hanging by their sata and power cables :smiley:

3 Likes

1 Like

You mean you don’t just leaving them freeballin on the cables

2 Likes

Never not freeball is my motto

2 Likes

Cheers on explainin’ <3

1 Like

Magnetism isn’t going to affect your computers circuitry, at least not anything consumer grade. The only concern, which to be clear is very minimal with consumer grade magnets, is anything with moving mechanical parts that contain metallic components.

That means case fans, disk/disc drives, and water pumps pretty much exclusively. Two of those create their own magnetic fields with electric motors and hard drives also have little magnets inside of them. Case manufacturers also use magnets to attach dust filters and hold doors/panels shut.

So basically don’t put magnets directly onto hard drives and don’t play with neodymium’s near your electronics, but otherwise it’s not really a concern. Worry about thermals more.

Edit: I prefer 3M velco tape for attaching anything semi-permanently.

1 Like

I’m a bit sad that the stretch release tape is so expensive, but velcro is second best.

orly :smiley: i want you to try something , your phone has (appart from the haptic feedback motor) no moving parts either , and its prolly consumer electronics , take a magnet (neodynium one should do the trick) and place it on the screen, (or slowly move towards it) , not convinced? :slight_smile:

I may or may not be known for letting drives just hang by their cables freely for months on end.

I will neither confirm or deny any of this, and assert my 5th Amendment privilege.

2 Likes

that’s not a bad idea, just don’t use the heavy duty 3M VHB tape. speaking from experience here, that shits basically permanant.

I got the functional part of the SSD out, but the metal shell that actually made it a 2.5" drive taco folded before the VHB tape let go.

3 Likes

I’ve been toying with the idea of a 3D printable drive bay cage that you screw to a plate, and you tape the plate to the case. Then even if the plate breaks when you remove it the ssd and the cage is still intact.

1 Like

Yeah you don’t want to use that stuff without some kind of strategy on how to remove it later. I’ve had the same experience with SSDs, and I’ve seen it strip the veneer off a desk before also. Now I usually lay down some packing tape or something underneath it, so I can just peel the tape up and everything comes off without much trouble.

1 Like

Never used double sided tape on SSDs myself, but I had to live with that fact because of someone else. That, and someone who stuck a laptop battery with double sided tape, because it wasn’t getting held anymore. Thankfully it was just the cheap variety, but I can say with absolute certainty that double sided tape is Satan.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.