Just stick your SSDs with tape

I just had a bit of an epiphany here. It’s possible everyone else has already realised this but in case you haven’t, you don’t need a vacant drive bay for a SSD, just tape it somewhere were it’s not too hot. No moving parts, just make sure it won’t bounce around. Are you out of 2.5 inch drive bays? Just stick you SSDs with tape wherever they fit.

6 Likes

Yep I use sticky back velcro

4 Likes

Some years ago i had mine taped to the floppy bays of my Chieftec case, super good.

1 Like

While I doubt there’s anything wrong with doing that with most (SATA) SSDs be sure to do a longer write test for maximum power consumption (= heat).

Some enterprise SATA SSDs can get quite toasty and be extra careful when using anything U.2/U.3 or when adapting M.2 NVMe SSDs to cables to not have to install them directly onto a motherboard.

2 Likes

I’ve always used a small piece of the double sided 3M adhesive. What I use is normally used by OEM’s to adhere emblems and badges to vehicles. It withstands heat very well and doesn’t become “loose” over time.

1 Like

used double sided tape for years.
had to…
a lot of cases started stripping out drive cages in favour of air flow.
so your only choice if you wanted more than 2 drives in a box was tape.

1 Like

Yeah, true, but when removing it later on there is glue and residue all over and it gets messy combined with dust and all that jazz…

2 Likes

Pah, tape… I go with the clearly superior full immersion air cooling method.

The drive is just plugged in hanging from the sata and power, it weighs nothing and dosent move.

6 Likes

The more rigid the cable the more you can “free float” your drives. Free from inconveniences and truly 3 dimensional. So much unused empty space can be used!

5 Likes

Images of those christmas IT trees of ram but like a life size one with hundreds of ssds hanging off a trunk of sata cables.

2 Likes

Just like think pads in space.

3 Likes

Perfect surface exposure for maximum cooling efficiency

5 Likes

Problematic if one moves the PC. Other devices and cables can be affected.

I prefer to zip tie hard onto some metal… though I have zip tied into space as it were.

I have seen the most janky applications of zip-ties.

If it were not for the network or power cables strung through those Art installations, I would have handed them to a gallery!

2 Likes

Put a couple of penne rigate between the sdd to increase airflow.

4 Likes

Or sleeve the cables with them for extra free floating ridgity

2 Likes

I just get magnets with adhesive backing for SSD. All the cases are steel, lets me move them around any time without any messy goop left behind. I started out with velcro but never went back after the magnets. Just be careful no magnetic spinning type disks are close by.

1 Like

Idk if using magnets is smart with SSDs. I know for HDDs it’s not, not 100% sure for SSDs.

Not all cases are steel. Mine for example is completely aluminum. Plus just not a solid idea to have magnets around your computer hardware.

Also, why is it necessary to move your SSD’s around that much? If that’s warranted, why attach them at all?

2 Likes

hehe i used to balance my ssd’s in the 5" bays , screws on one side only

used to because (got room for 11 disks in my new case (6 3.5" and 5 2.5) )

2 Likes