Just started using Habitica (Habit RPG)

Like the titile says, I just discovered Habitica. So far, I love it and I think a lot of people here on the forums will like it too. It takes a little bit to get used to but there are some decent tutorials on YouTube that help make the process of getting started a little less daunting.

Basically you set add habits you want to start improving upon and each time you do something positive you click the (+) symbol and you get XP and gold, slowly improving your RPG style character stats. Should you enforce the contrary of your habit, you can punish yourself by clicking the (-) symbol and lose life. I personally don't use the negative symbol, choosing instead to be punished by not meeting my "Dailies."

Dailies are like an automated version of the Habits. Each day they reset and you must check them off to avoid a penalty. By checking them off you receive XP and gold, so it's enforcement both positve and avoiding negative.

Lastly, there is a TO-DO list. Which functions much like my go-to, Wunderlist, but which I use only for things which are very important, as it seems a little silly to reward myself for small to-dos. Of course you can use any of the categories any way you want.

Anyone else using this? Has it been working for you? The concept certainly seems great.

1 Like

I discoverd it a while back, got my friend into it to. I liked it as a novelty, but found that the intrinsic reward for doing things was more powerful than the rewards from Habitica. Of course for house chores and small stuff it works really well.

That's fair. I wish I could motivate myself more easily. For me, at least at this early stage, the "fun" aspect of it, makes me want to get things done. Knowing that I will be leveling up or otherwise killing my character makes it engaging. It could certainly wear off though, so I better make the most of it! :P

Didn't work for me when I tried it months ago. Still on my phone collecting dust. I didn't like the interface much or the graphics.

Yeah the interface is only really any good on web. Even on my phone, I just have a pinned chrome tab rather than the god-awful app.

Just noticed today that they released a new android app. Still in beta, but I checked it out. It's lightyears ahead of the old one.

Hey there, fellow Habiticans! Guess what? I’ve been on this Habitica adventure for about a year now. :tada: I even leveled up to a whopping 110 before hitting the reset button and now winding up at level 57. Life’s taking me to the college realm, so I have decided to give away my Habitica account. :books::school_satchel:

Here’s the loot you’ll get:

-A posse of normal pets, a bunch of magical potions, and more quest pets than you can shake a stick at. :paw_prints::crystal_ball:

-Loads of pet food(174), got some cake, 145 eggs (that’s a lot of omelettes), and 161 magical potion stash that would impress even the most seasoned alchemist. :fried_egg::baby_bottle:

-Wardrobe? Oh, I’ve got a collection of costumes that would make any fantasy character jealous. Full warrior and mage sets, some bought with gems like a true VIP. :man_mage::performing_arts:

-I wield the title of “Warrior,” and let me tell you, my single smash can hit for an impressive 40.01 damage. That’s some heavy hitting right there! :boom:

-As if that’s not enough, I’ve got a hoard of 8,456 gold coins piled up like a dragon’s treasure trove. :moneybag::dragon:

-As a bonus you get 1 gem which you can use in seasonal shop, to buy some costume

If all this treasure’s got you intrigued, slide into my DMs on Instagram @billy_ray_x_ (yep, that’s right, I said it) and I’ll toss you my profile so you can take a peek. Adventure awaits, my friends! :star2::world_map: