Just built my first homelab server/NAS!

Just wanted to share some photos of my first home lab build. I’ve been eyeing this project for years but needed the right job and budget to make it happen. Wendell’s HL15 video is making me second-guess my case choice, but for now, here’s what I’ve got.

I’m running Proxmox VE along with TrueNAS scale, and a bunch of other random LXCs for things like *arr, nginx (still a pain to secure on my network), and more. Planning to dive into ML model training, remote gaming (when my 1080ti fits in a future case upgrade), and dev work. It’s all new to me, but I’m having a blast figuring it out.

Before it gets mentioned: I know the cooler is mounted in the wrong direction; there’s unfortunately no way to change the orientation on Noctua’s SP3 socket version of the NH-U9. It annoys me as much as it annoys you :laughing:

And its final home (for now)

Specs:

Type Item Price
CPU AMD EPYC 7282 16 core $154 @ Ebay
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 $89.85 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asrock ROMED6U-2L2T $435 @ Ebay
Memory Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC 32 GB x 2 (64GB total) $101.86 @ Amazon
Storage (SSD x3) Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5” SSD $198 total @ Amazon
Storage (NVME SSD) Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVME SSD $149.99 @ Amazon
Storage (HDD x2) Seagate IronWolf Pro NAS 20 TB 3.5” 7200 RPM HDD $315 @ Amazon (Black Friday)
Video Card NVIDIA VCQM5000-PB Quadro M5000 8 GB Video Card Free (from a friend)
Case Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $150.81 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair SF750 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified SFX PSU $186.06 @ Newegg
Total $1780.57
9 Likes

Oh, and I also upgraded my networking setup. Swapped out an old Netgear Nighthawk X6S for a Protectli FW4B with Arista Edge Threat Management, plus a Ubiquiti USW 24-port switch and a FlexHD AP.

Had a fair share of headaches with this too. Started with opnSense but ran into annoying issues, so I switched to Untangle. Also, getting the UniFi controller to play nice with the switch and AP was a real pain.

2 Likes

Supermicro’s SNK-P0064AP4 SP3 heatsink mounts in the correct orientation and will cool 280W EPYCs as well. My 7502 idles at 36C with it

Thanks for the rec!! I’m definitely going to switch over this once I make the move to HL15 sometime in the spring.

Well, I may have caved a little earlier than I thought I would and ordered an HL-15 chassis with backplane in black…so I guess y’all will see this build again in 2 weeks :joy: