Joined for Wendell

You lucky devil. I wish I met him. But I will be frank. He is super knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful in most things relating to new and old hardware. He is a true deity. When I say deity, I am joking, cause he is as human as you can be.

@CAMAN

I am jealous about your 64gb of ram and 2080. Though I do have a 3900x of my own so I can’t be jealous about that.

2 Likes

Hello!

And hello to you @Daniel1

2 Likes

I recommend forum field trips a while back

1 Like

It’s NOT B-Die if that makes you feel better. First kit was $180, second was $130 so it’s not THAT bad - same price as a single high end 16GB kit during the middle of the shortage. I’ve yet to find a case where I NEEDED more memory performance than ~3000MT/s.

For what it’s worth I’ve got pretty much all my living expenses WAY low and basically bank everything. $1000-1500ish a year on tech isn’t too bad if you’re somewhere in the middle of these ranges - https://www.levels.fyi/ - and the forced learning and familiarity helps you grow in your career (at least slightly).

1 Like

I have 32gb bought two separate 16gb kits for a combination of 32. Mine is B-Die but bottom of the barrel B-Die. 3600MHZ CL 17. I can get it with one of the kits installed to cl15. With both it wont go lower than 17 18 18 18 38. I didn’t really notice a difference between the two timings so I would rather have the 32gb capacity for multitasking. I can have a bunch of chrome tabs open, transcoding blu ray and playing runescape.

1 Like

I would have to check the specs - right now I’m running WAY below ratings on the better kit (3600 CL19 that could ‘OC’ to 16ish) https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bb0yra/hynix_cjrcfr_or_cdie_memory_is_impressive/

I’m going to worry about actually getting a lot out of my system when the BIOS stuff gets more ironed out and I have more free time to tune (been out of town 60% of the days the last month).

2 Likes

Which board is your 3900x paired with?

1 Like

ASRock B450 Pro4 .

I’ll probably get a better board at some point. Memory tuning has been painful relative to some other boards I’ve used.
At this point “it works” is good enough and the board will be recycled to something else (NAS? homelab?)

2 Likes

Greetings. Long time watcher of the things and whatnot via the ‘Tubes’, tech professional (prefer tech wrangler). Obviously aware of the new tech stuff, and I’m currently in a in between stage of career shift. Still working on schooling stuff, but the path to riches is a desert landscape filled with mines and exclusivity.

It is humbling to know I am not the only one struggling, thanks for having me, and I’ll be reading a bunch. Cheers!

1 Like

mfw OP doesnt reply

1 Like

Scared him off already I see.

2 Likes

Kids will be kids :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey there, Welcome! Have a look around, and if a thread isn’t too old, Jump in!

2 Likes

Joined for wendell and got the horn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good question. Google recommended it because I watch a lot of Gamers Nexus, Bitwit, JayZ’sTwoCents, and Linus Tech Tips, Hardware Canucks, and the Australian guy.

I’ve been drinking the Window$ cool-aid for too long. Mostly due to my work as a Windows Sysadmin. Even though I still need Micro$soft to earn a living. I cut them loose at home.

I am all linux at home. But I still miss Microsoft Office.

The end result is that I’d like to play some games on Linux. I bought a Radeon VII because I knew there would be a linux frame rate penalty. But after I upgraded to Linux 5.2.3-050203-generic, it’s not too bad. I was hoping to get some help for optimal linux gaming performance for Steam games. Maybe even try the DirectX games on Linux using Vulkan. I couldn’t find much from Google. So, I thought I would learn and maybe write and/or publish some guides about my experience.

1 Like

That’s how I felt after I watched his video about using a graphics card in linux to virtualize the display to hardware accelerate VMs. That guy does the things I wish I could do.

Is the @wendell body pillow lifesize?

How do you define newbie? I’ve been watching your videos for months.

Is he super tall? That’s what it looks like from all the videos. Maybe it is the lighting - maybe some fancy Global Illumination effects.