Job interview

I'm in the process of changing careers at the moment, I've been mainly targeting Java development jobs but I've completely fell in love with a Linux engineer (3rd line support) job. I've got through to a second stage interview tomorrow. So nervous / anxious.

Tl:Dr: I might be able to start a good neck beard after tomorrow.

5 Likes

Good luck! Let's hope it all goes well

2 Likes

Good luck to you!

2 Likes

I'm jealous. I wish I had the skills/knowledge/patience for a job like that. Best of luck to you.

2 Likes

It's a junior role so I don't actually have many Linux skills yet ( I've used it for years but commercial networking knowledge/ skills are what I lack), they're huge on training and development which will be very very fun!

1 Like

Where do you live? I mean, I have limited skills with linux. I have a VPS I run as a teamspeak server for friends and my own personal home linux box that is headless but I cant really get away with running it as my daily (though the reasons why are shrinking all the time). Theres just no jobs like that around here.

Manchester England, you? I think true entry level / junior networking jobs are kinda rare. There's not many other jobs like this near me either (might not even be any, it seems to either be help desk or CCNA). I've nearly finished a Software Engineering degree so I wasn't even really looking, it could be fate!

Illinois, US. Theres plenty of Sr level sys admin jobs or somewhat entry level admin but most of them want a BS in CS or CCNA + a bunch of other certs I just dont have time to get. Theres opportunities elsewhere in the US but I'm not really looking to move since I just bought a house.

Companies requirements for entry level jobs are so stupid. I'm feeling you on that one, I bought a house recently too, want to keep living in it!

Within 200 miles of where I live there is one, and only one, linux related job as a SUSE admin. And I don't have 10 years of SUSE admin experience (which is what it wanted). ffs

Every fucking thing else is for winblows.

Piece of advice OP. During the interview if it is an attractive woman that is interviewing you do not get caught up in how great her legs look and then say you have to end the interview. (This happened to be in a practice interview when I was in the JobStart program a year ago or so.)

1 Like

Thankfully that didn't happen xD.

I'm having like a trial week there next week so I guess it went well :grimacing:

1 Like

What kind of stuff did they ask in the interviews?

Yeah they are just fishing for the best candidate they can find, nobody fits that description, no one knows everything, especially if you're looking for an entry position and have no prior experience, at least that's how I see it. For those out there stuck in the "no experience, so I can't get a job to gain experience" loop, I recommend you to check this video:

2 Likes

I like Eli a lot. This was a good video.

@Eden This wasn't a technical interview, part of the first interview / assessment day one was. That was mainly basic linux knowledge like name a couple of distros and their package managers, basic cli text commands, user permissions etc. There was also a psychometric test which this interview was mainly based on. Seeing how I'd fit in the team and deal with customers / my passion for tech. They've recently built a new 20 million pound data centre I want to visit soooo badly.

@ivailo I saw that a while ago, very insightful :).

Do they have any other jobs going? :smile:

Yes :laughing:. If I mess up next week depression levels will be veryyy high.

damn, in the UK.

Here in the states it sucks.

Coming Soon: Pension Scheme with significantly higher matched contributions

I'm guessing that means better than what they already have. Cause it sounds like they're saying they don't have anything lol.

Looks like an interesting place. Hope you get the job.