Jim Keller joins Intel

Oh damn…

1 Like

First Raja now Keller… #pooramd

Not that Raja was much of a loss

5 Likes

Inb4 RIP AyyMD.

3 Likes

Then there was that one guy who’s name I forgot, that left Radeon and was rumored to be joining Intel as well… Intel is building a new team to do… Something… We shall see I. 4-5 years, but they are changing their ways, which is interesting.

2 Likes

They seem to refocusing, which is good. They had become way to bloated. Stick to x86 and get into GPUs, good game plan IMHO.

dj-electric
On the next episode of silicon nightmares!
Jim Ramsay visits a chipmaker that lost touch with his customers!

“Oi! come here, you been serving this chip? pffftt… for how long have you been making this?
7 years? bloody hell! F$%k me…”

“This paste you put here, what is that?! its a bland hot mess. You tell me you put this on a 2000$ chip? You donkey!”

Anyway what did people expect, it’s not for the competition he is joining intel. It’s to obliterate any chance of amd ever getting back to it’s athlon 64 position.

5 Likes

Its literally already there. Its not like Zen is trash or anything.

4 Likes

Ib4 Intel Athlon 128 Core X32

I see it as on it’s way there. The laptop market is still dominated by intel. I’m sure Intel will have the highest tech toys in the world, available at jim kellers arrival

Sounds like Intel doesn’t know how to glue a couple cores together. :rofl:

7 Likes

Well given what he’s pulled off with Ryzen and all the shit with Tesla at the moment probably a good time to move again and Intel would be mad not to snap him up and offer him the sun :joy::joy::joy:

Despite what Intel may or may not want to admit, AMDs gains with Zen over the previous gens is considerable and they are gaining ground. Intel from a business standpoint would be silly not to realise they can benefit from having the people behind that on their side.

IDK man I think I’m going to be buying one of these rather than that S76 Oryx Pro

Much better choice, go for it

If you ever run into thermal problems with it there is the radeonprofiletool, ohgodatool and tlp or tlpui (most of the interface is in english, rest in german)

Not sure why it’s 2 kilo for the size, it better have some nice quality hinges

Well I mean, one way or another it’ll be used as a work horse. The Oryx is probably a better choice in comparison, but its not exactly what I want.

This isn’t either, but its miles ahead.

I’ve held one already, I’m very impressed.

1 Like

What will be interesting can he come up with something different and not take AMD tech property and give it to Intel. He could give Intel the wrong info and we could see one very large law suit.
Right now Intel needs someone to shake things up. 10nm is a mess, and they are still working on a 10+ year old chip design.
Every where Keller goes new and interesting tech soon follows.
I just wish AMD had the cash to keep him around, or it is not the cash, he just goes where he thinks he will be the most challenged.
Keller going to Intel, is like the Woz working for IBM. Not something I thought I would ever see.

Have a day

To quote out of context numbers:

Computing and Graphics segment revenue was $1.12 billion, up 95 percent year-over-year

So basically double income. They didn’t just gain some ground. They have doubled their ground.

Revenue was $1.65 billion

It wasn’t so long ago, when the revenue was way below 1 bil. And considering, that Radeon is crap and people are buying Nvidia like crazy, I do seriously believe this success is based entirely on Ryzen.

The larger the Ryzen adoption - worst for Intel it will get. The server and enterprise market is also slowly shifting and opening up to Epyc… And now that Apple have basically given them a deadline, they don’t have much time.
I am sad, because AMD now have the money to afford Jim Keller full time. But now Intel have him. I’m sad…

4 Likes

Jim keller left AMD a long time ago if i´m correct,
even before Ryzen got to its final release state.
He did the design on the Zen architecture and then left AMD,
to get working for Nvidia.

Somebody correct me if i´m wrong.

You are correct. And I would guess that there is something in that AMD contract that says something along the lines of “you are not going to work on x86 for some amount of time”.

Yeah could be possible.
Keller also seems to have left Nvidia for Tesla.
However i´m not fully sure if Nvida and Tesla have some sort of a partnership.
Because Nvidia provides allot of graphical chips for cars aswell nowdays.

Tesla and AMD are jointly developing an AI chip for use in self-driving cars. This makes a partnership with nvidia rather unlikely.