It's Time for DUNE!

The movie has made more than 100 million internationally and broke records at imax the first weekend, we will see a continuation.

Hollywood always does this sort of thing as a way to keep negotiations open.

1 Like

No it was everyone, and it was really bad. There’s a scene where the Barron is talking about the Duke and then he flips out and murders some dude then his inner monologue explains that this is what he wants to do to the duke… Yes, obviously, thank you film.

Expository dialog is bad too but to actually have the character tell you what they’re thinking because you can’t communicate it though their acting or the language of cinema is just terrible film making.

Yeah, it wasn’t clear at all why the spice had value. They didn’t explain the mentats or the spacing guild. they didn’t even make it clear why water was valuable. It was like Avatar; they just keep saying that the world is dangerous but never actually show the danger, I don’t think anyone even broke a sweat.

I’m gonna watch the book first.

3 Likes

I think you should read the movie instead. :joy: :rofl:

I think its just treating the moviegoer with respect. I got it on my first watch without having an actual Dune background. But the problem is other non-scifi movie goers might not get it on their first watch. I’m thinking of my spouse. She has a lot of questions after watching most movies and I wonder if she will get lost here as well.

In retrospect, they did a somewhat poor job of explaining the spice in the opening sequence.

Rolling over the sands, you can see spice in the air

I was like - like wasted wind blown pepper? And later it has machinery digging dust calling it spice harvesters. Hmm ok? So the spice is in the desert dust?

What’s the fun in that? Reading movies is boring. When I watch books, however, it comes to life :stuck_out_tongue:

Even when you read the book, the secret of the spice does not fully unfold until well into the story.

If you want a spoiler:

Navigating hyperspace requires understanding of higher dimensions that is beyond the capability of natural organic or AI pilots. Consumption of spice makes it possible for the pilots to envision these higher dimensions. Over time, habitual consumption of spice alters their genes so that Spacers have become a distinct species. Yes, the spice is found mixed in the sands of Arrakis.

The part that is not revealed until later is:

The spice is worm poop. The worms make the spice.

1 Like

FYI everything is read online, that is the only source these days. Do you expect people to individually drive to the studio and ask the producer? am I millionaire? no!

1 Like

I wish i didnt click the spoilers but it does make sense regarding its source.

But damn, isnt that like a health hazard or something? :joy::rofl: makes me not want to consume spice.

That may be why they didn’t tell the whole story about spice until you were well into the book.

Also may explain why Spacers look so strange.

I’m guessing you havent heard of the world’s most expensive coffee. Some type of wild cat eats the coffee bean fruit and the droppings are collected and processed for coffee beans.

Oh I’ve tasted it (we have it here locally) but Paul seems to be experiencing it raw and unprocessed in the desert escape scene.

I’m having chill in my spine thinking about Toxoplasma in cat poop. If you recycle moisture from when you exhale, its bound to recycle toxo as well when you drink the water. Eww…

1 Like

I am following a bunch of YouTube channels, that talk about cinema and TV shows, and one of them had the following thing to say:
The movie isn’t diverse enough…
That was the criticism towards the movie. It wasn’t diverse enough.
Fuck off Grace…

4 Likes

Yeah, like that would make the movie better. Maybe if they actually focused on following the source material and writing a good movie it would be “good”. I knew as soon as the first trailer dropped that they would try a bunch of BS to make it “PC”. There is no way a blockbuster Hollywood movie would be made that actually followed the source material closely.

I don’t care about that …

I do care about that though.
Marvel stuff for example aren’t following the source material at all, and most of them are really good. Well, the new ones aren’t, but anyways…

2 Likes

Dr. Wellington Yueh…would like a word.

Only seen the Lynch film where he clearly isn’t Asian but they made Yueh Chinese and have him speak Chinese in the film because the name Yueh? Maybe the book explicitly states he’s Asian or something in the year 10xxx or whatever it is lol. shrug

1 Like

Credit where credit is due. Yueh was described in Dune as someone of Asian origin, so I won’t be complaining about this. I remember, because I’ve read the entire Dune chronicles maybe a year ego.

On another note, I didn’t see the movie yet, but I also sense “Star Wars” vibes from the trailers. Lynch version is quite good IMO for '84, but Jodorovsky’s would be 1000x better, even if he would deviate from the source substantially, as he wanted.

1 Like

One day I’ll ctrl f Dune or maybe get off my ass and read it so I can find out for myself. I’ve seen a couple excerpts which describe Dr. Yueh (I was curious after the 21 version so I googled it a bit) from the first chapter of the book and it’s not explicit or anything about being Asian. Something about long black hair, square face, droopy mustache and very thin. Maybe some character describes him differently in the later chapters.

Looks like there will be a part two😉

2 Likes

AFAIK Herbert didn’t made any reference to actual continent of Asia. Try searching for ‘oriental’.

Of course there will be. The movie made over 200 millions worldwide and this is with early release online and insane pirating. Even I haven’t seen it yet, and I already like it…