šŸ§ It's Official. 2020 IS The Year of Linux on the Desktop

I dont think the crowd understood the humor in your post. I can hear the joke breaking the sound barrier as it passes over their heads.

4 Likes

How dare you. Linux is under attack by MicroSuck and WinBlows. What is light hearted about war?

WAKE UP EDEN

6 Likes

This is for you

5 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ve planned my upgrade from 1903 to 1909 tonight!

4 Likes

test

1 Like

Sigh. Not sure why "you"re on the attack here. I was pondering whether Microsoft, in their UN-published project strategy, that they want to get out of the business of plumbing. Just like Edge on Chrome, theyā€™s re-badging someone elseā€™s open-source project. Keeping the brand, adding some value, but they understand people see the FORD or DODGE badge, few care whatā€™s really under the hood, whether thereā€™s ceramic bearings in the turbo, etc.

Iā€™m not on an attack I wanted some clarification. It doesnā€™t help a conversation to become immediately defensive when someone asks a question. You mention ā€œAzure on Linuxā€ and ā€œEdge on Chromeā€ and plumbing and car companies ā€“ Itā€™s very confusing to follow your chain of thought.

Linux runs on Azure, so does Windows.

Edge is using the V8 engine, my understanding is every browser but Firefox uses it.

Its Chromium they use. Chrome is Googles brand. Its also Microsoft Edge not Chromium Edge so theres no brand kept? Unless Iā€™ve misunderstood you?

Theres also no reason they cant use open source projects. Chromium is used on many projects not just Chrome.

Azure is essentially .NET + services built on the .net stack and this all is multi-platform. Ironically it happens to run better on non-windows platforms. Azure is also a datacenter service that Microsoft provides, trying to transition into the cloud business. Linux may run on Azure the cloud service, but neither Windows nor Linux run on .net. OS virtualization too level for that. .net it pretty badass, C#+LINQ is my favorite language by far- lambda statements are so addictiveā€¦

It may be hard to see my point, but Iā€™m saying microsoft probably sees, like it did in moving Edge to Chrome (V8 is just the javascript engine btw), thereā€™s little for them to gain in doing the low-level plumbing. They want to skin the open-source, re-badge it and call themselves architects. Thus I see a similar long-term strategy for Windows. You either get the point Iā€™m trying to make or you donā€™t.

But sorry, I donā€™t have the time nor inclination to get into a pedantic debate on micro-definitions where the domain is so complex. Sorry I posted my obviously ignorant thoughts. Peace outā€¦

Thanks for proving my point on the uselessness of trying to post when replies prioritize pedantic exceptions over posting somethingā€¦ Interestingā€¦

Uhmā€¦ YeahNoSorryNotSorry ā€“ All of this is wrong.

Yeah because youā€™re so far off the meter weā€™re not even playing the same sport.

Pick one?

Nope, this is not correct, at allā€¦

You presumably tar google, apple, red hat, et al. with the same brush? This is an odd statement to make of one of the largest open source companies in the world.

Gibberishā€¦? Your post on Edge was incorrect im sorry.

1 Like

Stupid arguments like these are why BSD is clearly the best.

7 Likes

These are the people I used to let bully me into using Linux.

Insane

4 Likes

In a way its kind of sad. Microsoft keep improving Windows that i need Linux less and less on the desktop for anything really.

Thereā€™s a lot of improvements over the last few iterations that id like to see in Linux for end users, but itā€™ll never quite happen. Specifically around security, backup, recovery, etc.

3 Likes

simultaneously no one would bully you into using BSD because they actually care about real freedom.

2 Likes

They want you to play in the ecosystemā€¦ the question is perspective.

Have your cake and eat it too vs. Embrace Extend Extinguish.

My favorite linux desktop is the one I use on my windows machine through mobaxterm. :wink:

2 Likes

This thread is now about winning

1 Like

Use it with WSL :smile:

1 Like

that has to be something the Linux community wants as a whole and everything Iā€™ve seen says itā€™s not. There are sects that would like it, even with a lot of resources like Canonical. As a whole though, they seem fine with being niche and thatā€™s not completely bad.