It's 2024 why can't i EASILY save torrents to a share drive?

BONUS RANT!!! OSX and windows let me mount shares “permanently” via GUI. Why does linux/popos have to be stone tablets and chisels in 2024? They are literally going to start building a moon base on the moon in several years.

MAIN RANT!!! Both PopOs and Lubuntu, when i try to save stuff in transmission to my smb share it’s shits the bed.

I’ve heard apps as flatpak can not access other hard drives without mods like flatseal. i’ve heard the drive mount is bad, i’ve heard the permissions are bad. i’ve heard flim flams about UIDs and GUIDs. I’ve heard that the developer’s of Transmission momma is so fat she doesn’t need the internet, she’s already world wide.

i’ts an unraid SMB share, it’s set to public, there are not settings for users and read write because it’s a public share, no security. it works every where read and write EXCEPT transmission. pick and os and file manager you can read and write your heart out. thats no damn read/write limitations on the damn share and it works!!!

what kind of cock-a-maymee bassackwards sealed flat pack, network hating, open source sour ass, manure is this? why can’t it be normal and work?

do i need sudo purge and and get repo/deb based version that defintley isn’t flatpak? i know steam sees no drives other than boot/os drive if it’s the BS flatpak version.

its been YEARS since i’ve gotten this to work, it broke after 18.04 LTS or theres about. i just want it to work without fstabing the nano fuck-it in config hell. would paypal or cashapp fix it?

1 Like

it would appear that several other torrent programs when even setting the smb share as the default save location, totally freeze in popos 22.04

This is why it will never be year of the linux desktop

Remind me after I had a nap to check this with the Steamdeck accessing a share from my Windows box.

1 Like

I can’t guarantee it’s what is going on your specific case but both flatpaks and snaps are blocked from accessing files outside of the home directory (links don’t fool them; bind mounts do).

(because, I don’t know; the only files i’m most likely to care about are in the home directory, if a package breaks the OS i’d reinstall it).

try force to install a deb; if that has issues doing same, it’s some form of permissions which is an addressable issue.

I feel the pain on things like this. there's a particular prevalent expressed tendency amongst the talkerati that you should use things a certain way (citation 1: gnome) and if you're not, you're wrong and for your own good. the hardcoded (at least flatpak has flatseal) values for allowed dirs in snap are also evolved from this. I acknowledge design decisions are made to solve certain problems, but the ones they introduce can be poorly addressed. And that's a step backwards. Luckily the rest are still taking leaps.
2 Likes

it might not matter but, i’m using unraid. actually it MAY matter i THINK windows doesn’t like hosting “public” file shares. like it demands there permissions and user accounts but, there is MS help doc somewhere on the internet for making a registry change to force allow “everyone” access.

wow that is succinctly said !!! is there anyway to purge them after uninstall? i have TWO steams on my htpc now after uninstalling the app store steam.

i have transmission installed on a Debian box. it downloads torrents directly to a mounted SMB share on my TrueNas server. the resulting folder (known as ‘torrented’ on my network) is connected to automatically as a mapped drive on windows hosts for the users who some have read/write, some have read only.

i cheat on 2 points to make this easier, the debian box does use an FSTAB entry to connect to truenas, and my network user permissions are handled through a separate linux Active Directory server. so that i don’t have to manually control anything, i just build out permissions and groups and asign network users, then AD handles authing people to folders.

also transmission is a DEB package on my box.

Never really had a issue saving torrents on a SMB share. Do you mount it through your fstab config?

If you are running the SMB server you are connected to, you could setup qbittorrent with a web interface on the server to avoid these problems

in the WAY that it is used it can not be setup on the storage server.

in Lubuntu i have setup in the fstab, manym any time in many many ways with and without all the uid and guid and permissions and SMB version parameters.

with pop os you can just navigate to the SMB share if you know the \hostname\share path or the ip addy not fstab needed

both behave the same way, like steam when you use the snap\flatpak can only save to the local drive.

i think the next step is to try purge and nuke anything torrent related and try to install the .deb/sudo apt-get install version and see if it does the same.

EDIT: accidentally a word