It is that time again build a new Rig

My old rig ( I5-4460, 16 GM RAM and R9 390 ) is starting to show its age while gaming.
i am starting to think about a new build.
this i going to be a gaming rig aimed at the upper end budget is up to 1500€

This is what i got so far:
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/DBfjYT

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/DvyWGc Updated list

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2NvRsk final version

this is going to be a Team RED build since i think the 3rd gen ryzen seem a great price performance offer and i got 2 freesync monitors so AMD GPU is also a must.

Where i am not so sure is what cpu exactly 3600 or 3600X the 3600X is a bit faster but has a lot higher TDP. question is if that is worth the price markup ? is there any use for the X version, better possible overclock ? i dont see the need for a ryzen 7 in my usecase.

next point is the mainboard i m kind of lost here i need 6 Sata connections for my old 3xSSD/3xHDD and want to put in a new M2 drive (thats 7 drives in total if that is a concern in chipset selection), i dont need WLAN or super fancy onboard sound. but which one to choose, chipset alone it seems to range from b350 to x570 which makes quite a dent in the budget but i am not sure what i need and what gives the best price-performance.

next up RAM i know ryzen performance scales with ram and i usually tend to have more ram than usually needed. some games i play right now already need the 16 GB i have right now so picking up 32 GB this time just seems like the thing to do. question is what kind in terms of price performance. i listed 32GB 3200 just a reference if i can save some money on the mainboard and thus get some faster ram in terms of performance and it actually helps.

for GPU right now i aim for the 5700XT unless someone can convince me to get the 5700 because the rig cant support the XT somehow.

if someone can recommend a good M2 drive would also appreciate it right now since all my other SSDs are Samsung Evos i put in the 970 pro. but i am open to suggestions.

last is the PSU i just threw something in there so far i have been quite happy with enermax question is if the 650W i to much or to much for the build.

i threw i a good air cooler since i am not fan of liquid coolers, they seem to have to many points of failure for my taste.

any help is welcome specially for mainboard choice. do i need to wait for some special new release of something ? i know custom 5700(XT) cards are out now.
if you need any more info let me know

i dont need any new peripherals. my current case is a Fractal Design ARC Midi R2. maybe i ll get a new one depending if give my old rig to a friend or not.

one las thing i dont give a shit about RGB stuff. i have a closed case so any visual stuff is useless. this might be my hobby but rgb can go away.

thanks in advance.

Hey…

1. Get 3600 non X. The performance difference is not worth the price nor the heat nor whatever…
  2. Move away from MSI for a GPU… Gamers Nexus have done some 5700 series reviews and the MSI card is pretty much the worst in everything.
  3. The cooling is fine. Those chips are not that hot…
  4. B450 is the best price option. X570 is the native chipset for 3000 series CPUs, but it’s kinda expensive and we aren’t quite sure when B550 is going to show up. Maybe for the motherboard think about MSI, cause they have decent B450 boards with Bios flash button so you can update your bios for the new CPU.
    If you can squeeze X570 in there, that would be great, but I can understand if you can’t.
  5. The ram is fine. Most B450 boards don’t go much over 3200 if at all. And faster ram is premium priced and it’s not really gonna boost gaming if at all…

I have a question. What case are you using?

I’d personally go for (well, i did) an X470 board over B450 despite the price increase.

Generally better quality boards, a lot of them have much better VRMs, fan headers, monitoring, etc. and i’m sure you can perhaps get one cheapish now. They’re just generally a better quality board normally.

You’re also likely to have a little more headroom for upgrades next year or whatever. I personally wouldn’t go X570 yet because of cost, chipset fan (noise source and one more thing to fail) and no use case for PCIe 4.0 just yet (unless you really need the fastest storage you can buy, and for gaming/home use stuff even SATA SSD is fine - and cheap!).

By the time PCIe 4.0 is necessary (i.e., it is a significant GPU bottleneck or storage speed requirements explode) i suspect 1-2 newer generations of chipset will be out, probably with DDR5 support (which means you’d be wanting a new board for faster memory support anyway) and no chipset fan :smiley:

Other than that, as above.

:+1:

:+1:

The x470 boards should take care of all your needs, and if push comes to shove you can get a PCie expansion card to help with I/O. I believe some have up to 8 sata connections coming from the I/O chip

2 Likes

thats for the replies so far.
so guess 3600 non X will be the cpu.
and not the MSI version of the 5700 good to know ill try to find that gamer nexus review maybe i ll find a good one there.

my current case is a Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 maybe i ll get a new one maybe not depending on what happens to my old parts

1 Like

Is your old rig running ddr3 (not familiar with older Intel stuff)? If not, what game is using that mich ram?! Also do you do any productivity-type things or mostly gaming/entertainment?

yeah it is using DDR3
the game in question is escape from tarkov which often get up to 12 GB add on top of that chrome with shitloads of open tabs and you can get a lot of ram usage.

and yes this is a pure gaming rig. no special workloads. i maybe sometimes stream for some friends to show them of some new games but only i a private setting. so no need to take that in consideration.

2 Likes

32 GB in RAM is a good amount from modern usage, could you get away with 16? sure, but 32 will hold you down for a good while. I currently have a 4690k with 24GB RAM (DDR3) but firefox is VERY good on RAM
(I’ve gone up to 150 tabs over 3 browser sessions and only used > 12GB with other task going.)

The Sapphire Pulse seems to have gotten a good review

1 Like

Star citizen is/was a total ram pig… and yes as above, a couple of years ago 16 GB was the price/perf sweet spot. Now IMHO that is 32 GB.

Excess ram will be used as cache which will speed things up a bit, even with SSD. And it isn’t THAT much more money in terms of total system build cost vs. 16 GB. For the most part with 32 GB you can just forget about memory usage unless you’re doing something significantly memory hungry. 16 GB not so much.

Alright then, so I’d recommend you stick to 16 gigs. Ddr4 has much faster clocks so it won’t eat up as much(just looked up a YouTube video and it was only using ~5 gigs). You can go dd4 3600 16 gigs for around 80-100.

The SSD you picked is a pro drive, which is usually for production-types that need to rewrite tons so you can easily instead use the 970 Evo or evoplus.

Get the non x 3600, should be VERY similar performance. Especially with that cooler🤩(cooler is also overkill, but I love noctua stuff)

Everyone’s on the money with b450/x470. MSI made goods boards in that line so I’d go with them.

Gpu-cantl’t go wrong with Sapphire.

Hope this helps👍

well thank you for the replies so far.
i m gonna take a dive in the x470 boards and take a look at what sticks.

ok i updated the pcpartpicker list

the msi X470 GAMING PLUS board seems good to me.

one last question,
anyone got experience with updating the bios. can i do this with a ryzen 3000 installed or do i need a compatible cpu to update the bios.
because the board supports the ryzen 3600 but only after a bios update. so if i cant update the bios because it doesnt support the new cpu and i dont have a supported one i got a problem.
i saw some retailer provide an bios update before delivery but that service almost costs enough to grab an x570 board instead.

if thats it i am pretty much finalized the system.
i might get a step lower on the ssd but critical components mainboard cpu gpu ram should be set. @32coremonster i prefer 32 gigs of ram even if it might be overkill over the years i learned not to skimp on it and rather get more ram than try to cut corners there. but i appreciate the advise

I noticed you have the NH-U12A, I would not spend 100€ on it.

That combined with some other things, Mindfactory alone saves you 100€ in cost (or 60 if you insist on the U12A).

1 Like

That is my current case and I adore everything about it.

Don’t you dare. The case is so good replacing it is going to be sidegrade at best. The airflow is great, the included fans are quiet, it’s fairly well built. Add a couple fans to it and there is no better case on the market IMHO. If there was I wouldn’t still be using it.

1 Like

I am tired trying to argue against overpriced branding, but I absolutely agree with that. U14S is going to a) fit in the case, b) perform better and c) be cheaper… Still Noctua, still super good…

1 Like

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2NvRsk so far the final version of the build

i am waiting for conformation from MSI support on the bios update issue for the mainboard before pulling the trigger.

i switched out the mainboard. to the “MAX” version
this version supports ryzen 3 from the get go no need to update.

i also read that the none MAX versions from MSI work with ryzen 3 after bios update but it is a troublesome update with a few caviates attached. that why MSI released the MAX versions.

i also switched out the NH-U12A to the U14S. which is still good but saves a few € without any noteable loss.