Issues running ethernet over thunderbolt and boot up warning messages

In perhaps an unwise decision to deal with the fact that the size of a case like the Fractal Torrent was larger than what was planned to be used to fit 2 computers on a desk designed for arts and crafts. I decided to attempt the approach that I found very interesting from Linus Tech Tips after checking that the Caldigit’s TS4 while not officially listed as supporting Linux should work and checking that the USB 4 described in the ASUS Pro Art X670E board was in fact using Intel ® JHL8540 USB4 ® controller ports which are used for Thunderbolt certified products as well and that it should have all the thunderbolt functionality.

After starting my computer this past saturday the ethernet seemed to stop working and so I unplugged and moved the computer today to the desk to be able to plug the ports in directly and after having issues with display not appearing the displays function properly but on boot there’s the following message.

Here is the most recent Linux hardware Probe I did.

On the weekend I had also run a hardware probe which gave this result.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thanks for sharing lots of information about your setup.
I must be quite thick this morning, but cannot figure out what your issue is.

I see three network devices in your logs:

1. Intel 2.5GB
  2. Aquantia 10GB
  3. Mediatek Wifi

According to the logs all of these devices are detected and seem to loading drivers w/o issues.

The picture shows the 10GB network connected and the logs show it working.
The subject says “Issues running ethernet over thunderbolt”. Which does not seem to make sense to me: why “ethernet over thunderbolt” when there is a perfectly fine 10GB card connected to the mobo?

According to the logs the Caldigit thunderbolt device is detected fine and drivers seem to load as expected.

btw. One of the logs (“dmesg”) shows a repeatedly resetting USB device that seems to be connected via the thunderbolt hub
usb 3-XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX: reset high-speed USB device number 11 using xhci_hcd
Could that be related to your issue?

I spent a few hours last night asking around on the fedora discord and the final guess is that it’s just the ethernet port for the TS4 might not work.

The reason for using it when there’s a perfectly good 10 GB connection is that I don’t have a long enough ethernet cable for the normal place that the computer is placed.

1 Like

There may be a fix for your issue

:slight_smile: