Issues installing linux on framework 16

Hi all.

I wanted to install geckolinux (opensuse) on my framework 16. Specifically tumbleweed kde. But it hung when I tried to boot the install media. I could do a failsafe boot and run startx which got it going and even installed but then it errored with failed to load boot on restart.

I eventually gave up and switched to spiral Linux kde. That’s basically debian 12 with the calamari installer. That worked as long as I didn’t do whole disk encryption. Only if I manually made the partitions only encrypting the / partition. If I encrypted it all then it’d ask for a password but dump me into grub cli.

As it is I’ve decided to call it a night but thought if anyone has any insights into what I’m possibly doing wrong in either case I’d be grateful. Otherwise I’ll stick with spiral and unencrypted boot/swap & efi partitions.

Encrypting /boot is only possible in some circumstances. I believe grub only supports luks1(?), and only if support is compiled in. You can’t encrypt/boot/efi (since it must be transparent to uefi), and that’s kinda what secureboot is for (a tampered with bootloader shouldn’t be loaded by bios in that case).

But you might use OPAL encryption, if the framework and your nvme drive support it? Then you get a password prompt from bios instead of from grub. Keyword is „self encrypting drive“.

That’s what I thought but the fact calamari was doing it automatically and a lot of the posts seem to beb implying it was normal now. That said it was mostly arch users so maybe it’s just their way :smiley: I didn’t have it on my last laptop so I’m sure I will be find without it now. Thanks for the reply

I figured out the issue. It was possible to do it as the setup ran. However, for anyone having the same issue, the password uses a US keyboard layout and I have German so I was effectively typing the wrong password.