ISPs and their bundled routers are dump. :sigh:

Hello there, Level1dwellers.

One day I port scanned all of the devices on my network.

And I’ve found that my ISP router has an SSH port opened, which made me curious. So I tried common combinations to brute-force it, but could not guess the credentials.

So I’ve looked online on how to get there, and I have found that there’s a higher user called ‘superadmin’

I called my ISP to get the creds, yet they played dump or didn’t get what I wanted.

So I looked into an exploit database, and I’ve found a patched exploit dates back to 2015 for an older firmware and an older model. (here)

I read it, and I’ve found that exploit showed that they did use an unencrypted base64 to store the passwords into the config file. (Extremely dump btw :pensive:)

The exploit also explains on how to extract the config file, cause you can’t extract it normally from the UI. You have to do a certain post request.

I tried to extract the config using the post request, but it did not work.
tho after trying my public IP instead it did work, and I got the config.

The password was encrypted tho with something a bit different than an unencrypted base64 (xD)

After further inspection I felt that it was just a salted base64.

So, I kept changing my regular admin password.

• make a new password > plain text password
  • check the password change post request > shows an unencrypted base 64 password
  • backup > shows an encrypted base64 password

After gathering those samples I was able to generate a simple model to reverse all the passwords from the config. Yep they were all encrypted with the same salt… :pensive:

• the firmware is actually not that old…

And wahaaaw I got the superadmin password. Yep as well as the SSH creds

Takeaway here

• ISPs are dump
  • Somehow the hardware devs are incompetent.
  • Much worse vulnerabilities could happen and a patches like this are insufficient!
  • Trust not your ISP’s router.
  • A useless ssh session :stuck_out_tongue:
    * * To be fair I was able to figure out on how to automate too many things, but I use pFsense already…

-pakxo.

6 Likes

Sorry mods, I don’t know how keen you are about posting stuff like this…
I could take out the ex-db link

Cool stuff. Yeah, I don’t trust ISP routers (or even normal routers, unless they are running pfSense, OPNsense, some form of *wrt like openwrt or ddwrt, or a linux distro that I am in control of).

Basically this, I never trust routers that are limited in control for me. I “made” one myself out of a Banana-Pi R2 running Alpine Linux. No GUI/web interface though.

1 Like

I picked up a Netgear AC1450 at my local thrift store for $15, then put DD-WRT on it. Found out that Netgear’s crap firmware purposely crippled it, and effectively unlocked a R6300v2 AC1750. Cool stuff…

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_AC1450

3 Likes