iSCSI Performance (Games and Emulators)

Hello, sorry in advance if I’m posting in the wrong category, couldn’t decide between networking and gaming for this question. I’m working on building my first TrueNAS box shortly (from old computer hardware I had laying around) and have been poking around between videos on various youtubers and discovered iSCSI. I’m now considering making an iSCSI drive for my desktop for all my emulation content (original Nintendo all the way up to PS3). I also am considering putting all my older non resource intense but still large games on an iSCSI drive too (So like Persona 4 golden, Half-life 2, Resident Evil HD, and such).

My home router, PC and NAS are all gigabit NICs (the array is all 7200 RPM drives). Since I’m mostly doing older games, I shouldn’t have to worry too much about speeds, is there anything else I should worry about besides certain kinds of pesky DRMs having a fit).

One thing to watch out for is that if you max out the NIC, you max out the NIC. What I mean is that if you are heavily utilizing iSCSI and then start a game download, your iSCSI performance may go to hell, and your download may go to hell

Its common to have a secondary NIC just for iSCSI (And sometimes an entire network)

Personally I think it adds a bit too much complexity to a desktop setup

1 Like