ISCSI on UnRaid or just go TrueNAS?

I’ve just built a new NAS and I want to set up an iSCSI drive to use as game storage. I can’t find any info on how to setup an iSCSI drive on UnRaid. Can it be done and if so how? New to servers so can’t do VMs yet. If UnRaid isn’t possible, I’d just go with TrueNAS.

Yes it can be done, there is a Plugin for it and a Manual in the Forum for how to set it up. Works just fine.

Unraid is fine for beginners. Go for it.

I only use iSCSI on the zfs nvme datasets on unraid, mostly for performance reasons. I’d imagine for a game drive though, a btrfs volume would work well enough (their cache drive system).

If iSCSI is a/the primary use case for the server however, you’re probably better suited going a different solution (such as TrueNAS) - the unraid array really isn’t a high performance storage solution, it’s better at large sets of data that are typically fairly stale (like a media server, write the file once, read it many times after).

It can be molded and shaped to do other things better, so if big media storage is your primary usecase, you can still go for it; just keep in mind that when you do go to do these other higher performance tasks, you’re likely either going to spend a lot more time in the cli, or may never be fully satisfied with the performance (unless you’re only connecting at Gb speeds at least).

1 Like