Is Windows 10 as bad as people say it is?

You mean they patched in the telemetry thats in Windows 10 ? I realise that.

And switch to Linux as my main OS? Not likely because proprietary software and drivers. Although I'll give it a shot if Linux really becomes a viable OS for gaming. Almost there, just not quite.

"waiter, waiter theres a fly in my soup !?"

http://www.indianchild.com/waiter_jokes.htm

Sorry ! , my mind was not there !, yes got it ;-)

Well wait a minute, what about the people to actually bought the OS for a new computer build or Once the time comes after July, it wont be free anymore (at least that's what they are saying).

Shouldn't those people have the option to turn it off completely?

Tin Foil Hats, and Privacy aside, it sending that much info back to MS is just plain wasteful, useless, and weird IMO

Microsoft is saying this is all there for research and to improve the OS and reliability......seriously? Microsoft.....I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but hear this........there is this thing Microsoft called the "INTERNET" people go there to post the problems they have with Windows and to get help, maybe if you put as much effort as you do to spy on us as you did looking up these problems, we wouldn't be sitting here discussing this issue now would we?

Just make a decent OS that doesn't talk to the outside world and people would be happy, privacy advocates and normal users alike wouldn't make a difference!

On another view ....
I am assuming they did this based solely on Ads and ad revenue for the first information that gets sent, but I have never in my entire life bought or suggested something based on Ads that have been forced in my face, I have "LOOKED UP" on my own free will to research products or services, I wonder how many people can say the same?

Its called Ubuntu. And yes any typical non-pro can use it if it came on pre-built retail machines.

it has firefox,chrome, email via thunderbird,spotify,ghetto-skype,discord and about 2500 games. That covers most normal folks. All the drivers come baked in and there is a software centre with no learning curve.

windows is stockholm for many people, a lot of them broke free and bought a Mac or a tablet.

You brought up Ubuntu.....Wa...wea....we don't go there....SHHHH you will wake the sleeping Linux people and start a flaming war that will be uncontrollable. :)

My bad. I just intended to offer a legitimate solution.

In all honesty it is, except for 2 things IMO, Hardcore Gamers, and Serious Video Editors, once these 2 things can come to it reliably and preform decently, Windows will burn in the fiery pits of yesteryear.

Let me disagree. What's that TF2 rip off that's popular at the moment ..birdwatch or something? Its totally aimed at a specific 'gamer' demographic who would never leave the tepid comfort of windows 10 or the soft green glow of their Monstrous energy drink. Valves promise of SteamOS is to remove the trepidation of trying something new and allure those users with as little effort as humanly possible, it's carrot and stick and Gabe ate the carrot.

A Hardcore gamer is a different beast that falls into two categories. One is a space/plane simulator enthusiast with a HOTAS, (not a hot ass) multimonitors, tablet screens for readouts and the other is a seven GPU's , 16 monitor overclocker who only buys games for their graphics and pushes mods, textures and AA to pixar levels of fidelity just to fawn over the beauty of CGI and then write about their FPS on a forum somewhere on the interweebles.

non of those are Linux gamers because multimonitor, peripheral support, AAA FPS games running DirectKeks work on Linux.

.. Nor do the overly pointless control centre profile software for keyboards and mice ( looking at you Corsair, Asus and everyone else ) that make your PC look like Chernobyl just got wheeled into a gay pride march on a nyan cat float

I need to make sure I state IMO a lot (cuz internets) I guess the term "Hardcore Gamer" is an argumentative phrase, let me rephrase that by saying, you can't have just some games work and others not, there is always going to be that one person who plays X game, that doesn't work on Linux, to concur Windows....they ALL have to work or at least 90% of them to gain traction.

I have used Linux alot (and do on various other computers), and I want to SOO much in my life as my main OS, but I edit videos and I've tried 3 editors (Including Lightworks) on Linux that bring the system down to a halt when editing anything more than 1080p/60fps/30mbps videos, I have an i7-4790s that has no issues doing so on Vegas or Hitfilm on Windows. I would put the lack of games aside for this issue to be resolved.

Again that’s a matter of perspective. For arguments sake, lets call Linux its own gaming platform .. because it is, just like a Wii-u or a PS4 , do those platforms have all the games of windows ? Its basically boiling down to Linux being a desktop interface replacement for windows.. but it doesn’t have to be the sole and only thing you run, just like many people run Wii-u's through their monitor..

As for production software im thinking this is an area Linux will improve over the next few years. But fundamentally its not strictly that Linux doesn’t have good production software its more about the same argument .. it takes a while to learn and settle into windows just like it takes quite a long time to learn a complex piece of software.

i use https://kdenlive.org/ it works enough for me but then again we can talk about that top 25% who need those hardcore features and performance or we can talk about the general masses .. just like harcore gamers vs casual.

Linux is a nice all round casual / semi-pro tool. Its free and fast and caters for most people. But its not without its faults and the 25 - 30% of the top end users ( probably those who make up a lot of the tech site people ) can't quite make the jump.

That's fine, Linux will slowly grow and eclipse eventually and nobody other than Microsoft is forcing people to use it.

i was going to mention that, but nobody really seems to give a shit about Ubuntu users. the loud chorus of laughter than follows anyone even suggesting that being able to use Ubuntu means you're a competent linux user, usually means you're "at the kids table" until you're prepared to use the "big boy" distros.

Whereas i quite like Ubuntu. i don't mind Unity, and getting settled into Ubuntu is just as much a linux experience as any.

It's fine from a usability stand point. From a privacy it is no different than all the other things that collect data on including the entirety of the Internet. Make a few choice blocks on our edge router's firewall and run Spybot Anti-Beacon. you will be fine.

They don't care about you as a person but your trends (you really are not that important). If you really dislike data aggregation then don't use the internet.

I played with Cortana on a customers machine on a clean reload of win 10 when it first came out, I was just asking it things it couldn't do mostly, my voice sounds like megatron on a good day, I felt like the original boss on IT Crowd when they told him they upgraded his PC with voice control, sitting there for like 30 mins going
"hello.....cortana..... hello"
"cortana what is the time"
"cortana do something"
hope that usage data was helpful to them.
But in all seriousness the key logging seems to upload everything you type periodically and god knows how much the microphone picks up

There is some truth in that but not entirely . What if the trend 'pool' was only 5 people and you were one of them ? (im not talking about you specifically, it too easy for you to reply 'there's nothing important going on in life' or 'i don't care about others because im okay and others must be doing wrong if there is a problem' ) .

If nobody is important then why do it ? Big data is not as useful as has been made out, I heard this from someone who actually works with these data sets and its not really amazingly useful, just crowd control. Its actual individual smaller subsets that interest markets so niches can be found.

Im guessing your young enough to not know where the internet was 10 years ago ? This idea of data harvesting should not be rationalised or normalised. Not just on the internet but on your actual home desktop machine, its commercial exploitation of what once was 'deemed' a private space, id be amazed if some jurisdictions or government bodies ( like the EU ) don't create new laws finally to give the public a digital bill of rights that limit these things.

Are you okay with doing all your computer stuff on a Public Library PC where you have your own login, but the library have the password ? .. Perhaps a library PC that you borrow and shove in your room at home for a few weeks and return without any other maintenance required storing all your history,usage,files..

Either way the personal freedom to choose is important so if Windows 10 floats your boat, sail away.

2 Likes

Any time you go to a store and pay you are bring tracked. Any time you use a phone you are being tracked. Live in a city? You are being filmed. Tracking cookies have been around since the 90s.

Privacy is an illusion. Especially if you come in contact with anything google related (most of the internet).

There are some good technical reason for disliking Windows 10. User account control, serial drivers suck and bloatware are all legitimate. Privacy on the OS is par for course in this day and age. Privacy concerns can be mitigated via good network security

OP the UI is decent seems to be a bit faster but regressions do happen with updates, because MS doesn't do enough QA anymore. If you want DX12 and proprietary software support go ahead and update.

Hows that related to a desktop PC. Your saying people should run dual screens and face one at the window for people to watch ?

I haven’t used a 'cell' phone for calls in a long time, but yes GPS is a thing. People could use a secure phone app , I don't use mine enough to care. But its still not the same.

Not really a fan of cities TBH. Everyone is Filmed when out and about, not the same as a desktop PC again, and as for cookies.. really.

Just because someone can see people in their skimpy bathing suits at the beach or that someone was filmed going to a shop that means all privacy is pointless and the indoor operating system should be bound by the same rules ? Because some things are in public and things are in private space'

Little use of google here & No its not. That's a straw man used by people who don't care enough or don't want others to and facilitate their apathy with a 'Privacy is an illusion' line. Its not an illusion its a sliding scale and not binary. Now if you had said there isn’t anything such as true 100% privacy then id agree or that its difficult to remain private then again id agree.. but its not an 'illusion'

It maybe par for the corporate course, its not par for the person who hates Golf. What's being offered here is mixing personal ownership & privacy with PLC. That's like giving the architect, the builder and the grounds keeper a skeleton key to your gated home.

I think there is such thing Data trespassing and im sure future laws will clarify this much better. But again if you want OSX, Windows 10 or whatever else most of all freedom of choice should be respected.

That's great and all but if you need certain software more privacy focused OS's will not run said software. Yes you can run virtualized but I wouldn't do that with CAD or 3d modeling software.

If the OP has to have certain windows software he might as well upgrade since 7 has the same problems as 10 now. Just for the improved speed it is worthwhile to upgrade.

im just answering your specific points around the privacy 'debate' ( what debate there is, its a polarised argument)

You will have more experience with windows than I have so yes OP should take your advise on the actual OS.