Is Windows 10 as bad as people say it is?

Is there anything bad in Windows 10 that can't be fixed by using utilities that disables all of the data collecting.

Yeah, it's that bad

4 Likes

How so? There's no way to turn that stuff off? also, how different was it from the unity search?

From usability standpoint, Windows 10 is the best one so far. It combines general sanity of the UI from windows 7 and some improvements from 8 and some of its own, like better aero snap and virtual desktops.

As far as data collection goes, I personally don't care how much it sends either before or after using the utilites. While data collection is bad on a fundamental level, it's never going to affect my life directly, so it's not a reason for me not to use a better OS.

9 Likes

I like win 10 a lot more then win 8 that being said it does like to know everything you do and how you do it. There is a reason it's free :( you can turn off most of the data collection but not everything sadly.

Well, technically, it's not free when building a new computer. But, what part of the data collection can't you turn off?

Usability it seems alright. But there are a number of issues in my opinion. It remove control over your computer from you, good defaults are good, but not allowing you to override them turns your computer into their computer. (things like settings, updates, etc.)

The other one is data collection, theres no way to turn it off, and even when you can (enterprise versions) theres apparently still data collection in the background built into the OS.

"fixes" to disable data collection might work on day but need updated every time Microsoft updates your computer, the real issue is Why are people using Windows if they dont want it to collect data on them? Thats part of the OS, dont want it, change from windows to something else. Utilities to attempt to disable core functionality doesnt solve the problem, your still using the OS, it will still collect data, and your saying to Microsoft thats fine.

6 Likes

There is no off

As for what they collect, im not sure if theres extensive research on it yet but it could potentially be anything depending on what MS decide they want. Its also a backdoor for 3rd parties to gain access to information by compelling MS to give them access through it.

1 Like
2 Likes

Neat, found that. Dont suppose theres an option for actually disable data collection?

Personally I'll move over to linux before "upgrading" to windows 10. I understand the issues with moving to linux as opposed to windows but for me, the benefits seem to outweigh the drawbacks.

5 Likes

It is so bad on a secruity stand point that I switched to Linux instead.

1 Like

Windows 10 is nice to use, I've also found it to be very stable and teh Pro edition also has a lot of extra features over home edition that make it worth getting for a developer or enthusiast.

As far as the privacy stuff goes, I don't think anyone outside of MS (or many people within it) who really know exactly what it sends home.

What we do know is that Win 10 (and likely updates on Win 7 & 8) sends back a lot of data and statistics back to Microsoft that will help them monitor usage. Whilst Microsoft say they collect and use the data anonymously you need to judge how far you trust them.

Stories like this show that they are definately monitoring the types of software people are running and how peoples PC's are being used to interact with other Microsoft devices: http://bgr.com/2016/01/05/microsoft-windows-10-spying-2015-user-data/

At the end of the day, like a lot of google products you are getting some decent software that doesn't really cost you any cash, but what value do you place on your personal data, browsing and gaming habits?

A friend once had his notebook loged into my guest network, the firewall blocked about 60 different known telemetry servers within half an hour.

The most complete list I have (to make this clear, I did not find them myself. This is based on a list I found online with some additions.):
www.msdn.com
msdn.com
www.msn.com
msn.com
go.microsoft.com
msdn.microsoft.com
office.microsoft.com
microsoftupdate.microsoft.com
wustats.microsoft.com
support.microsoft.com
www.microsoft.com
microsoft.com
update.microsoft.com
download.microsoft.com
microsoftupdate.com
windowsupdate.com
windowsupdate.microsoft.com

All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
pre.footprintpredict.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

Telemetry is sent once per 5 minutes, to:
vortex.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
pre.footprintpredict.com

When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:
pre.footprintpredict.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com

11 Likes

Heh, wow... Good thing I've got plans to switch to Linux soon. Sheesh.

6 Likes

Putting a firewall that blocks any traffic of a Win10 computer is the most effective way a user has to avoid data collection.

One can always unblock Steam or any other application traffic and use an application-only proxy setting for the browser, Mozilla seems to have the proxy option, Chrome seems to use the system proxy setting. (Avoid)

Of course I would do this if I were using Windows...

That sounds about right.

I hear if you block one of the telemetry addresses in the hostfile, Edge ignores it, but other browsers don't. If edge ignores the hostfile, what makes you think the rest of the OS won't?

blocking those MS telemetry domains in the hostfile doesnt make any sense indeed.
MS owns a gazillion of those telemetry domains.
But next to that, the OS simply ignores those blocks.
It just continues sending your data, nomatter if you like it or not.
Those privacy tools, might disable a small amount of it, but overall they are pretty useless.

2 Likes
1 Like