Is this motherboard pretty good?

I've been posting on the mobo section for a while now finally talked my roomate into buying a gigabyte motherboard.

here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-CrossFireX-DispayPort-Motherboard-GA-Z77X-UD3H/dp/B007R21JJK/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360648997&sr=1-5&keywords=GIGABYTE+GA-Z77-D3H+LGA+1155+Intel+Z77+HDMI+SATA+6Gb%2Fs+USB+3.0+ATX+Intel+Motherboard

so the question is this any good for:

Pci3 (no sli)

onboard audio (i'm using the steelseries siberia v2 so I wouldn't have to buy a soundcard hopefully)

sata 6gbs for 1 ssd and an optical drive (using sata II for the tb mechanical) 

thats it thanks!

While being a solid board I think the P8Z77-V LE PLUS offers better functionality and features. It is also a slightly lower cost.

1. You would be able to control all the fan headers compared to the GB board which has very limited fan control functionality. This is a nice plus especially when trying to tune your system for a balance of cooling but silent operation.

2. Superior USB 3 performance the ASMedia 1042 offers superior performance compared to the VLI solution being used on the GB board. Additionally the GB board does not support UASP operation.

3. USB Charging for iOS and non iOS device. Especially if you are going to connect a smart phone or tablet you will be able to quick change those devices while the system is in different S States ( Sleep , Hibernation or even powered off )

There are also a number of other benefits but without knowing your build considerations hard to define what other points may be important to you.

In regards to a sound card the Via 2021 is actuallya solid codec. From will it work perspective it totally will but the cost of getting a really solid sound card is quite low.

A Xonar DG or DGX can cost between 30 to 40 bucks. THe quality imporvement ( no noise floor, no humming and superior clarity and louder volume ranges along with a nice pumping up of dynamic range is worth it ). In the end though sound is personal consideration but for me personally I would not be considering a build without at least a basic sound card. This is a consideration point that of course will vary.

SATA Performance is going to be consistent essentially amongst any board that uses the Intel PCH ( the integrated SATA ports ). If you use a secondary controller though things can vary. Such as the ASMedia 1061 can offer slightly faster performance than the Marvell 9128. In reality though this is minimal consideration especially for a mechanica HD as it cannot saturate or really show a performance difference due its maximum throughput and random read and write performance.

Hope this helps! Please enjoy the rest of your day.

1. the Gigabyte Board has 4 PWM fan headers compared to the ASUS's 3 so the fan control is as good or better.

2. Gigabyte also has USB3 acceleration on the Mobo, and its just as good as the ASUS 

3.The Gigabyte board has a Superior Built in Audio chipset compared to the Asus with a 108dB SNR, unless you're buying a mid range sound card little to no difference will be heard between a sound card and the Onbaord audio

4. the Gigabye Board has a Superior VRM/Power delivery design Compared to the ASUS 

5, The Gigabyte Board is Much more durable and also has a secondary Bios should anything go wrong

6. Just checked current retail prices and the Gigabyte Board can be Found for 25$ less than the ASUS baord, Getting a Sound card would drive up the overall costeven more so for the ASUS

7. The Gigabye board supports more useful features (extra PCI-E power for SLI/Crossfire, Debug LED,On Board buttons to help with troubleshooting ect...) and the Ultra Durable Features ensure a higher quality for the motherboard, its also has more USB3 Ports in the rear.

Its nice to "inform" your customers about what they could get, but saying the ASUS Board is  much more superior when it in fact is priced higher and has less useful features and a lower build quality is just plain ridiculous.

"5. The Gigabyte Board is Much more durable"

Are you talking about the durability between these two specific motherboards or are you saying Gigabyte motherboards are more durable in general? If so can you please elaborate? I am not an Asus fanboy nor am I a fanboy of any kind. And yes I do have an Asus board but I want you to eleborate more becuase I am just trying to educate myself more on the subject of motherboards because I believe you should never skimp on a motherboard :)

pcie 3.0 is sorta a pointless feature at the moment.  when both the hd7990 and gtx 690 can't max out pcie2.0 x16... and only barely max out pcie 2.0 x8 (like by 2% or 3% dropoff in performance) pcie 3.0 remains a pointless tech.

Maybe in 2 or 3 generations of cards we might see a GPU that can make use of PCIe 3.0... but when we're still looking at modern gpus that doesn't even bottleneck in pcie 1.0 x16 (like a 6670, 650, or 7750) we can sorta write that feature off as just a $$ grab until we start to see GPUs push the envelope a bit more.

I know amd gets beat on for not offering PCIe 3.0 on their boards (which is sorta funny since they make GPUs with that interface), but really looking at it from a practical standpoint, it is and remains an overkill and pointless tech atm.   

Hello Beyond fan headers do not dictate the functionality of the control parameters. The superI/O and firmware does.

While the number may be the same the functionality is different. On the ASUS board you can define min and max RPM values based on temperature value. The GB board offers a very limited slope based option than does not have a lot of granularity. It does offer control but is limited additionally the chassis fans are linked which is not flexible as it means chassis one slope value will be assigned to chassis 3 why would I have my front intake fan running at the same as my back chassis fan?

The GB boards does not offer UASP Support and has no software to allow for this type of adjustment ( as it is both a hardware, firmware and driver implementation that is required ) As the chipset does support the native Intel PCH USB 3 ports which are XHCI 1.0 if you use windows 8 you can have UASP support but only under windows 8 not windows 7 which would have the Intel ports still operate under BOT and not UASP.

You can check out a review to even see how the GB board performs. They also use a VLI HUB which while solid does have some varying compatibility issues at times although it has been improved upon with driver updates.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1882/13/

Sound is a complicated topic that really varies from person to person and on the source and the playback equipment. That being not i would disagree on even a basic sound card not seeing an improvement from integrated audio the VRMSS alone would allow for increase volume range ( which is independent of clarity, tonality, soundstage or other subjective perceptions ). Additionally the rated operation of a codec is influenced by the trace layout and the soothing capacitors used on the board ( they are caps built up around the codec ). All these factors and more including EMI and crosstalk all reduce the rated specifications of the codec.

Example would be a 898 or 889 or 892 or via 2120 if it is rated at 110DB it will actually only operate at or around 92 to 98DB because of external factors. This does not mean you cannot get a good experience or good enough experience on an integrated codec but i think the investment in a better card for a low cost is definitely worth it. In the end though to each his own.

Not sure where you got superior? From the ASUS board offers a digital PWM with advanced power delivery and control ( just like the GB does but ASUS of course has been leading the industry in this regard for multiple generations ) it was only for X79 and Z77 that GB finally transitioned to digital when ASUS had been using the advanced design for years ( X58, P67, Z68 etc ). The Capacitors are 5K FP caps vs the 2K caps used on the ASUS board.

Not sure where you got durable if that is assume just form the name? The ASUS board while not offering a dual bios does offer a non soldered chip. This is a big advantage as even with a backup chip the rom can become corrupted and fail to post and "rollover" to the secondary chip. In this event you are left with a board that fails to post and must be RMAed. ASUS uses non soldered / socketed roms it is removable this means you can replace it regardless by getting a replacement mailed to you. Additionally the board offers USB bios flashback which allows you to low level overwrite and recover a rom the same way it is complete in a service dept. This can be completed due to a special IC that allows this to occur even if the board fails to post ( additionally no CPU, Memory or even GPU is required ). I think this is a more advanced and failsafe backup than a basic backup rom.

Price wise looking at Newegg the GB board is 149 and the ASUS board is 149. I think for the additional functionality and feature offer that provides a better value. Even if the ASUS board had a higher price looking at features and functionality it would be justified.

The extra power is not needed any board vendor that communicates that is not be honest. This is why we only put additional power on highest end multi gpu board where they may be putting extremely heavy load ( under colder environments where the board power efficiency can also drop ). This value point in my opinion is mute and has zero value to a real world users even one that overclocks. This is only a value point for the extreme user.

The Debug LED in my opinion varies i have a lot of users who do not understand them or think they can just Google the Debug code not realizing that different vendor have different bios/uefi and have different Debug values. What we do offer is eay visual QLED diagnostic system so when you building the system if you run into an issue with the post with the most common item which is generally memory you will have an LED next the memory go off. Additionally we have MemOK which is a hardware IC which can help to troubleshoot and initialized failing memory or mixed modules or even provide a clr cmos effect without erasing all your other defined values.

You are correct it does the ASUS board does not offer onboard buttons but last time i checked you use your board inside a chassis and those buttons have zero benefit to a user when inside a chassis. It is a nice touch sure but would I prefer to have better fan controls, usb charging, better usb performance, the ability to recover my corrupted UEFI and more over onboard buttons. For me and I think most yes. But that is a preference consideration.

Everything communicated is factual without any fluff being communicated. In regards to less useful features do not see where that was shown and less reliable not sure how that is proved or shown as well. ASUS board are used by more SI's than any other vendor and there is a reason for that alone the reliability and stability our boards have shown.

Hope this clarifies any questions you posed or had and if not feel free to PM me. Enjoy the rest of your day.

It has An extra layer of Copper for the PCB, it has a tighter Fiber weave on the PCB giving it humidity resistance, it has surge protection through the use of capacitors to take a quick spike in electricity and it can deal iwth surges, and the USB ports are all individually fused so if one gets blown the rest will still work. 

Ultra Durbale isnt just some marketing term unlike how most other comapnies would try and display durability.