Is there a way to use Google Maps (Android) without Google Play Services?

Hello community

I am using a degoogled Android phone and the only thing I am missing (a lot) is being able to use google maps (app). It appears that google maps will not read your location properly (if at all) if you don’t use Google Play Services, even though OTHER apps work normally (Waze, MagicEarth).

Is there are conceivable way to use google maps without GMS? Even if that would mean intervening on the apk itself, could that be done?

If you can’t make it work with the App, Google Maps in a Mobile Browser is also an option, you can give it location permissions there and it will work pretty similar to the App.

Otherwise you could set up a second User Profile in Android and install MicroG on there to get it working properly as an App, keeping Google Services away from the rest of your phone.

Or maybe you’re open to other Apps since you have a de-googled phone:
OsmAnd+ is great for driving/walking/cycling as an alternative and Transportr is even better for public transport, in case that’s helpful to you.

On F-Droid there’s an application called GMaps WV that just loads the Google Maps webpage in a WebView and doesn’t need any Google services on your phone.

In case you haven’t found Organic Maps yet, it’s a great viewer for OpenStreetMap maps too.

3 Likes

That’s very neat actually, cause opening Google Maps on my browser was always a pain (my default settings open private mode, doesn’t remember location permissions, etc).
But one thing this set-up cannot do is navigation. It will only show you the overview, and then expects to launch the actual navigation on the google maps app.

I used to use Magic Earth. It sucks compared to gmaps, unfortunately. Now I’m beta-testing Waze and it seems miles ahead of Magic Earth. So I will keep a combination of GMaps WV and Waze to hopefully get me through my travelings.

Any other suggestions are very welcome

Alternative: GrapheneOS (@GrapheneOS): "The full variant of the Google Maps app is one of the few Google apps largely working without Play services. With the latest advances in the sandboxed Play services compatibility layer, it also works with that installed with more functionality available. Still issues to resolve."|nitter.it

Have you tried other navigation apps? Google Maps is actually quite a poor choice for navigation. MapQuest does a vastly better job of routing you around traffic congestion. And Here WeGo is the better choice for offline navigation.

I didn’t see you mention whether you have tried installing MicroG in your original post or in response to @felixthecat . That is the general solution to deGoogled Play Services compatibility:

I have a degoogled pixel phone, so no play services. I have google maps installed and it works mostly OK. It sometimes has issues finding my location unless I am using the directions. I’ve done this on pixel 3a and pixel 6/6a.

I also have gcam installed, but I had to install gcam service provider so get all the features to work.

I build my own rom. There is a a13 version that I use as a daily driver, but I’m too lazy to push the commits since there really isn’t a large audience for the DIY android roms.

I think graphene or calyx are good alternatives if you want to get away from google, but don’t want to build your own rom.