Is there a searchable database of house or garden plants' properties?

Hi,

unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to really get into plants beyond obvious common sense levels.

If I search for plants I mostly get 10 different websites with 10 varying opinions which lets my BS detector go off.

Is there a “serious” compilation of “all” house or garden plants?

Something where you can specifiy environmental ranges from variables like

• air humidity
  • (Room) Temperature ranges
  • Amount of light available
  • Grows best at what light wavelengths?
  • How much oxygen is produced by this specific plant “per leaf area”
  • Optimal soil composition
  • Problematic for small children or pets

And after selecting these variables you get a list of plants that are suitable for the intended location.

I’m currently in an inner-city location and while I already have air filters running I would like to add a few plants specifically for producing the maximum amount of oxygen respectively draw as much carbon dioxide from the air as the available space allows.

Wouldn’t mind adding artificial plant lights if there is such a thing as an “Über photosynthesis” plant.

2 Likes

Best to go back to your college and find your Botany professor and ask these kinds of specific questions. Maybe they can point you a thing or two about plants. I think you need to find the plant with the most dense foliage so that there would be more cholorophyll overall.

This seems to be a very specific plant - weirdly enough another person/agency may have asked this question before and this specific field/agency be may even be your local space agency. Try to find and ask for their exobiologist for these kind of questions. I mean space stations would greatly benefit from these kinds of plants as well. Then again, space conditions would be obviously different but the path they took to find their plant should yield some good insights for you as well.

If you are already good at gardening, maybe you dont need this tip, but maybe try to keep a plant that is easier to keep alive? The most oxygen producing plant wouldnt produce oxygen if they are poorly maintained/malnourished/dead.

Finally, you may be overthinking this. More plants = more oxygen regardless of its chlorophyll density/oxygen producing capacity etc. If you somehow find joy in raising and nurturing them, get more plants, have more oxygen.

2 Likes

May make a good Dev-ember project.

1 Like

It may need a github page.

Or you know what @aBav.Normie-Pleb, why not make a database yourself and share it to the world in a wiki form or something? Again, your botany professor would be a valuable help.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, nothing like this exists though I would kill for something as simple as a list of plants that are perennial for my grow zone. I’m slowly working on putting in fruit trees and I have to google each variety each time.

4 Likes

Same here. I am in 8B in Washington State but we occassionally dip into 7 or 9 zone due to the Olympic Rain Shadow. I am not good with all the zone stuff. It would be nice to have a DB to refer to what has worked and has not worked in my area.

Unfortunately, this heat wave has burned a lot of my fruit bearing plants and I don’t know if they will recover. We go back to a high of 70F on Tuesday but we have been enduring this since Thursday of last week…

I might be able of help. Due to to the nature (get it) of my employer. Will get back to you.

3 Likes

@Vuurvoske

I’d really appreciate that!

Looked at a couple of (public) NASA papers and they only had a pretty limited scope.

I had been under the impression that seriously looking into “plants stuff” would be one of humanity’s main projects due to the global decline in quantity and quality of agriculturally available surfaces - but most stuff I was able to find from a lay person’s perspective left an aftertaste of a high school science project rushed the night before it was due in my mouth.

i look at my local nature centers and state run water conservation places they are everywhere hidden and full of this info and how to attract local pollonators and bugs that fight off aphids and the like

take a field trip to the same place the elementary kids would go there is always things going on there for good info

their info is based off mostly the latest stuff and really useful for your local area i look at postings at my local community gardens for more info about ur area its not always there but making a post sure helps alot

gurneys does this for their own seeds and i use it for checking some in season stuff

https://www.gurneys.com/shipping_schedule

they ship a tad after nearly everything is going dormant so you can buy at and plant at good times

then over winter em some you plant then and they over winter them selves

but their shipping guide tends to be the best for my experience

1 Like