Is there a PHP app that can replace Microsoft Access?

"What do you mean?"

What I mean is, to get away from MIcrosoft software, my company is looking into different ways to interact with our databases. I figure this can be done in PHP, but it'd take me a while to make anything with the basic feature set of Access.

I also figure that someone has already made something like this and there's probably an open source version.

For example, being able to:
* Update records.
* Run Queries.
* Find and replace.
* Filter.
Etc.

1 Like

I am not really familiar with Microsoft Access, but maybe this is what you are looking for?

https://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Thats mostly for managing databases, Access is used as a 'secondary' database that interacts in userspace with the 'storage' database. Essentailly, a front-end to using the back-end.

OP, I think Libre Office Base is a direct alternative for what you need.

5 Likes

+10000000 !

Using Python3 to connect MySQL and Libre Office Base works well with MySQL

2 Likes

That's fine for Database Administrators, but I'm looking for something friendlier to normal users.

That'd require moving databases and rebuilding our apps in Libre Office Base.

I feel like just creating a web front end for a Microsoft SQL server would be one less problem to deal with at a time and would essentially be universal to any database we would go with, MySQL, PostGreSQL, or wtv else by just changing the drivers in PHP.

Basically using LibreOffice Base means doing 2 things before it's usable to our users. The web front-end is only 1 thing.

1 Like

The transition might not be as strenuous as it may seem...

Base is a full-featured desktop database front end, designed to meet the needs of a broad array of users. Base caters to power users and enterprise requirements, providing native-support drivers for some of the most widely employed multi-user database engines: MySQL/MariaDB, Adabas D, MS Access and PostgreSQL. In addition, the built-in support for JDBC- and ODBC-standard drivers allows you to connect to virtually any other existing database engine as well.

Compatible with MS Access. You wouldn't need to rebuild anything.

1 Like

Not a database person, but could you clone and test first?

1 Like

Is says native-support so it should work just fine.

But yes, always good to test.

I however, cannot test, I have no access database files to use to test with.

1 Like

I did not mean you personally, just putting the question out there. That way it could be tried safely and if it works great, if it needs work it can get it safely while everyone else continues for now. And that way you (not you) could see the scale of work it might need rather than shooting the idea down out of hand.

I can see how my wording came across, sorry.

We've actually tried implementing that. What we did was essentially the following:

• Install LibreOffice onto a workstation.
  • Point it at our Microsoft SQL database.
  • Configure it to use the ODBC driver.
  • Attempt to open a Microsoft Access Database with LibreOffice Base.

It did not work. The issue I believe we were running into was configuring the ODBC/JDBC driver. The documentation on that was not adequate if I remember correctly. This was 3-4 months ago.

The issue may have been that our databases are in Access 2010, which is fairly outdated. We'll have to rebuild something anyway.

I think the reason we'd prefer a PHP web front end to our MS SQL database over a LibreOffice Base is simply that some of us have PHP experience whereas the people who know how to do Access development haven't ever used Base and are pre-disposed with other duties now and so don't have the time to develop databases anymore.

I'll probably tinker with LibreOffice Base since we'll have to rebuild regardless, but I had hoped that if there were already available skeletons or something for a PHP front-end like this then that'd be less work overall to get running.

I feel your pain. So are we where I work. We have a pilot group running 2016 versions of office and so far every single one of our access databases don't work with the 2016 version. So our one database guy is having a hell of a time trying to get all of them working before the mass update is pushed out to all the workstations in like 2 months.

2 Likes

To save your self the horror of php you may want to look in to some RAD application generators they can take you current data set and let you build controls to pundit and update.
Not used this one just poppy up in duckduck

1 Like

I did not want to see this comment... Or maybe I did ! LOL,

My co-workers are working with 2008 R2 and are getting ready for a move to 2016, My questions to you @Dynamic_Gravity is:

Should I bring donuts, Pizza and sleeping bags on the morning of the migration?!

1 Like

We are doing the same thing.

Yes. Yes, you should.

But then again, that should be standard kit for any day in DevOps in a corporation without far forward thinking upgrade plans. I wish I had a /s to drop here, but I don't.

2 Likes

It's a shame don't get to provide input into the situation, The people I work with are very closed minded. So I stay in the corner and answer the hell desk while they suffer with the transition... { It's been going on for months actually }

1 Like

We still use this for all our shit. ffs

It sucked because at first we just had them use the databases but once it was loaded up into the new version it changed the way access stored everything and broke the usability for anyone who was use 2010.

Massive rollbacks ensued.

2 Likes