Is the Programming Language "Visual Basic" at the end of its Lifetime?

Hello Dear LevelOne-sies and LevelOne-ers.

I just signed up here to be at the Heartbeat of IT. :slight_smile:

I have a need to ask the Experts about a new Development at Microsoft and its Visual Basic Department.

Does anyone know someone who has Information about the State of Visual Basic and its Future?

I spent Years of Development in Visual Basic just for a Hobby, and I sold only one Copy of a Application.

That was back in the Days, when Applications where called Programs.

I sometimes Dream in VB, especially when i want to hit a Hi-score in a Flipper by adding a Multiplication-Feature into the Flipper-Counter. That is really a disturbing Dream sometimes. And I will never talk about it, ever. What happens at the Flipper stays at the Flipper. :wink:

I am from Germany and I won a Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition. I paid 1000€ to get the 2010 Edition also as a Pro Variant.

And now all this is for Free.

So I spent allot of Time behind the Screen and not learning Programming Right till today.

Dear Uncle Bod: I want to be a good Programmer, and if the Oath will become a reality, i will willingly Swear it, I Swear! By my Beard.

I started to Develop a Mass Mailer Program, for a Friend of mine who had a small Mobile phone-Trading Company (B2B).

It had a small HTML Editor, COM Connection to MS Outlook to Manage the Emails. I optimized the Application by changing its Mail library and speeded it up by 500%.

That was my first Application that was used by others then me.

Then came the IPhone. Market went down… :frowning:

But since then I had fun learning more and more, exploring not just the Basics also advanced Stuff.

It is feasible to call me a Microsoftie.

Since September 2019 I participated on this Site:

Add VBNET Support to NET Core 3 WPF Windows Forms Projects

So we Accomplished something… We thought.

Now there is the Announcement that Visual Basic will only be Supported in .NET 5, but will have no Improvements and no new Features.

I didn´t know for Years that Visual Basic is Open Source, and even I tried to search on GitHub, I cannot Find any Visual Basic Source code.

So we fought, got a “Thumbs up” and a “Cool”, and now we are Doomed.

So I have to learn C# and its Caprioles in Brackets and Semicolons?

I don´t know if Uncle Bob is considering Lambda-Expressions in C# are well Executed.

Imagine this: I had to spent 3 Years to get my head around MVVM.

And then one of the most important Short and on Point Description gave me the AHHH-Moment. And it was buried under nonsense and distracting info’s. These deceptive Info’s where everywhere and could be Avoided if MS had an easy to understand Learning Course.

And, Yes, I watched Bob Tabor and Mr. Nixon, I admit it…

What is what You heard? Are there Rumors or any Facts?

Is it time to see a well working Language being abandoned by a Company for the sake of Consolidation or just to get rid of all Old Stuff?

Ok. Here I am and cannot proceed into my Future without Visual Basic.

BTW: English is not My native Language, and my lack of Empathy for any Syntax or Gramma in any give Language should not bother You too much.

I am really curious to hear from all of You, but one Person or Robot at the Time. I am from the Spaghetticoder-Species. :wink:

Greeting form Springified Hamburg.

Hello and welcome to forum :wave:

I do not know much about VB so cannot provide much commentary on that except for the fact that it has drastically fallen in popularity compared to C#.

2 Likes

Hi.

Thank You, your highness Dynamic and his Gravity… hihi

Yes, this is somehow a false Positive.

When the Indexing Sites for popularity of Programming Languages, used Stackoverflow, they missjudged it by a Margin of 1000%.

Onethousend is correct.

Every new Student learned C# in his first Semesters, and asked Questions on Stackoverflow, and no Answers where accounted correctly.

So it was a real Mess, and now Visual Basic is considered a childish Language, but it is still the same Programing-Language of .NET .

It is just a Dialekt of MIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language).
Under them are F# R# or whatever has a Sharp taste to it…
Chilli# or Wasabi# or Razor#…

Actually Razor is a MS Technology… hmm

But this will change after .NET 5

But Gravity pulls me to the Ground, so I will fall on my Basic-Feets again. :wink:

c.u. Zui

You learned Visual Basic originally, you can learn something else?

I would suggest that if you are planning to base your career around one language and don’t want to learn something else, picking Microsoft development platforms right now is a bad idea. They keep deprecating stuff.

2 Likes

I’m not in IT, but I see some office automation moving to Python, which is a good thing IMHO as it enables more data to be kept in open formats.

RPC via email, and PubSub via shared folder, menial checklist that are just clicking exercises are still there.

Also, people still use VB code in their document/sheet templates. I wish they’d stop that.

1 Like

@thro
Hi. I have to learn now JAVA in College. This will be my new Language. I also started some Blender Python to create a Visual-Basic-Lexer as a Visualization Generator for 3D.
Just for Fun.
I used some LUA and of course I need to be fluent in C#.
I stopped to use PHP and all this Webdevelopment technics a decade ago.
I been around in the Programming Language thingies… :slight_smile:
I speak 4 Human Languages, and I am nearly 50 Years old.
I still need to learn, as a Human beeing and as a Developer.
And about picking up thing now, I do VB since 2005.
Maybe I am old? Ok I am old! Getting lazy on learning new things.
Like the Agile-Development, it is for a Team based Workflow.
For me it was Overhead, if You are a One-man/woman/diverse Show.
I also need to learn these Technics too, and I will… :wink:

In my Future I want to see Visual Basic to be number one, but it is just a Dream. Silly me…

Thank You for Your reply.

@risk
Now You got me on the bare, stincky and cold Feets…
I really need to lookup and translate the second Sentence.
RPC == Rice Pan Cucumber ?
I heard of Email.

PubSub == Public Sub() ???

So You know VB? lol

Yes this Scripting in VBA is kinda annoying. but it is only because of Security Resons, not the Functionality.
The Office Team should replace it, but I dunno how and if at all.

I have told my best Half of me, that alot of old things and Programs are still in use, and can´t be changed.
Like a Linux Server who is running an old Kernel. It is working. Let it do his/her/its Thing. :wink:

I also need to thank You for having spent Time with my Post.

c.u. Zui

I wouldn’t say it’s eol cause we just saw a surge in demand for cobol devs and maintainers lately

And 99% of cobol use is dead …

Yet the fact that governments have applications and things all built on vb and other “dead” languages sets those things to be near forever used

Look at air traffic control there are techs who keep them up and going and they get paid by the minute

1 Like

VB is hardly used on new machines. What it usually gets used for anymore is older computers that people make apps for and then they post them online. Mostly in my case, the amiga crowd. But theres a lot of DOS coders too that use it.

And honestly, what would you want to add to VB or Basic to make it mole modern? It was never intended to be chrome, thats too god awful slow. But… If you made a network modem manager il amigaOS 3.9 I’d be appreciative ;D

I know VB’s not really basic, but anymore thats what basic anything is used for.

1 Like

@THEkitchenSINK
Ahhh. Now I know it, I gonna learn COBOL. Cheap resources like used Books for free on the Fleemarket. :wink:
Good that I have some VB Books here. I gonna save them up till they be hyped as “Retro” again. lol
I gonna be Rich, I gonna be Rich… (…and that was the last Time he was seen. Maybe, he is spendig his Time in an Asylum…) :crazy_face:

thx for Your Reply.

@FaunCB
What Amiga related Applications? I have an Amiga.
I dunno nothn about any VB Amiga Sh * * t, I only know Disco Sh * * t.
“Stayin´alive, stayin Alive… Uh, uh, uh.”
But (Seriously as I can be) , I have a A2000 with a Blizzard 2060, Picasso II, Catweasel/BuddhaIDE, CF-Card Adapter, and a wired crazy PCI Card Soldered on a ZorroBus Adapter to get 10Mbit LAN.
And my Best half is from the German City, where they manufatured them. I can´t get closer to it… :woman_mechanic: :woman_factory_worker:

Okily Dokily: Network Modem Manager in Visual Basic?
Show me where MS has the Amiga Virtual Driver.
But how in the World are You in need of a Modem?
I don´t Judge, I don´t Judge… lol

How come that we Amigians (i don´t wanted to say Amigas) , find each others in the Forums?
BTW I am active on JanBeta´s Discord. Sorry for doing some advertizement, but he is in other Retro Spheres, and should not be seen as a Competitor.
Maybe You Admins/Moderator/Roots let this thing slip thru… :grin:

I love My Amiga, I took a small break from typing here, to give him/her/it a gentle Hug. Now I fell much better.

c.u. Amigian zui from the Amiga heavens…

1 Like

I was meaning just Basic, but VB and B are literally made for stuff like that. Small miniscule scale.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking I could rewrite Amiga-History with Visual Basic, a “Basic Mistake”. :slight_smile:

Basic is so easy. You will in no Time create a Worldsaving Application, running on an 7Mhz CPU with 1MB RAM, half Slow half Fast…

If I can find the Time to have a WinUAE Running i will try to see how Basic is working over there. :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

c.u. Zui on Basics

1 Like

Tell that to the Mission critical conveyor belt software that some Big Pharma companies use to interface with AS400.

2 Likes

…I would say, stick to what you find practical. Otherwise, might as well code everything in ASM as is unlikely to fade away. Then again, is it practical ?. A language is just a language. Many are C++ 'till death part them … some jumped to Rust, … I code what I need in the simplest way I can so I can get it out of my hair :slight_smile:
If it works, it worked.

1 Like

Hi. @argumentum

What I find practical, is an AI based Brain for me, that would help alot… I assume.

Funnybone to the Side.

I am not considering to stop using VisualBasic, for the next 10 to 15 years.
But I need to learn now JAVA, and I really have an deeply aversion against Curly Brackets and Semicolons.
But on the other Hand, when I see Python… I need Indentations to take care of?

You see, i am picky and somewhat “Special”. Have You seen the AirQuotes? lol

For me is the managed Programming Language thing THE thing…
We humans need to deal with the Codebase, the Computah is not Picky like me, and lives just of “Something” and “Nothing”.
But like Culture and Human Languages, they are for us, and gives only Humans a sense of Meaning.

Uuuupsy… Just got over my head here. Calm down Zui calm down…

Now I exposed myself as someone, who has Serious issues with semicolons. :crazy_face:

The simplest way would be, to hire someone/someher/somedivers/sometwo_or_three to do My developement.
Hmmm… I need to get more financial Resources. Ohh, I discovered a LogicBomb.
I programm for Resources. I need more Resources, not to do programming.

You see my printk() is on “Level Cloud 99”, it is Sunday morning so what…

I love Programming, and it is more fun with VisualBasic for me.
“VisualBasic extends life. VisualBasic expands consciousness. VisualBasic is vital to space travel.”

c.u. On Dune Folks and Fremen

1 Like