Is Single Player Gaming Dying?

I aint touching Star Citizen with a 10 foot pole until they release at the very least, Squadron 42.

It’s been more than a decade since Star Citizen was opened for Kickstarter and there seems to be no end in the development. I am not certain if the original Kickstarter backers even care or remember anything anymore.

1 Like

I’m having a blast playing FH5 in single player mode, going through the story and the challanges. Is really fun and I don’t miss the multiplayer aspect of it one bit because it’s not forcing me to do so.

1 Like

The whole point of Star Citizen is for it to be in perpetual development. Constant flow of content, constant updates, upgrades and evolution, etc. You’re either down with that or not. I adored Freelancer, but SC really isn’t my jam.

1 Like

(I know SC is not your fault… Cue rant:30)

They can develop constantly, that’s fine, but release Persistent Universe now, and keep tinkering later/forever.

Like Eve or whatnot.

I’m not salty about the money I gave them years ago, but it is almost criminal they keep releasing paid expansions with no PU.

I understand they already bloated it beyond their initial dreams, and they caused bugs with the bloat, so it’s still beta

but, they could have released Years ago, and expanded in place.

even having a PU stream, and a dev/testing stream, like Battlefields Community thing.

So SC does not count yet, Especially as a Single player game…

And I hope Mark Hammill is still alive when they do release; he will certainly be at least one decade older than the Mo-Cap / stock images they captured of him…

2 Likes

I don’t really think that single player is dying. I’m also an avid single player “player” and tend to enjoy that stuff more than playing multi with friends most of the time. If I look at my current games list and take their release date to consideration, there’s still quite a lot of games that have SP, including more modern ones.

2 Likes

A lot of the AAA titles seem to have a “Single Player” mode, but it seems to be increasingly more just a glorified training tool for multiplayer.

It’s hard to find many titles that have the passion, individuality, quirks, and easter eggs that games from a few years ago had. Indie games excepted.

CoD4MW (not the crappy rehash) is the only thing I play online, though a few of the guys I play with are re-installing the original CoD1, UA, 2, WaW again now. Simpler times, better quality social interaction, and time to savour the good moments instead of a constant blur of achievements, rewards, and objectives with faceless people you never get to know.

Lately the AAA games ported from PS are the only good AAA games.

You really should look for more indie games. I’ve heard @ryan talk about how he couldnt even think of playing other games but We Who Are About to Die. I was hesitant to buy it but I did anyway because the games the host play are usually quite good. I normally dont buy early access titles but this game is actually fun:

I was also going to buy Cosmoteer but I already bought Rimworld Biotech and I still in the early game of the latest expansion.

1 Like

Hah! I’ve never heard of WWAATD before. Added to my wishlist immediately. Thanks! (even though you weren’t talking to me about it)

1 Like

Just picked up Far Cry 6, The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint (all ultimate versions) through Ubisoft store for 70%+ off on their winter sale (HOLIDAY22 code to save more at checkout). I wanted to get them on Steam, but looks like Ubisoft is taking a hard line. Waited over a year for FC6.

That should keep me busy over the Christmas vacation. Well subject to the wifes veto, of course. :scream:

1 Like