Is Single Player Gaming Dying?

My bet is that FO76 will continue to operate until Starfield comes out. Then the online servers for 76 will be quietly turned off. Doing it before then would be an abject admission of failure.

It’s possible there’s a player base that can support it continuing, but speaking as someone who bought every Fallout game -except- for FO76, I’m fairly confident of the timing.

This is what bothers me the most out of everything, everyone wants to mimic the big ‘e-Sports’ titles. Why are there seasons, daily quests, login rewards, etc in Age of Empires like it’s some kind of shitty mobile Gacha game?

I swear, every time I’m reminded of how much I despise modern AAA developers, I go over and donate another $5 to Tarn+Zach Adams (Dwarf Fortress) for just existing.

3 Likes

EVE may be dead (to me at least) but VETO lives forever!

For real though my best friends are the ones I met playing EVE and even though most of us quite the game nearly 10 years ago we still talk, game, and get together as much as possible. I have never enjoyed any MMO other than EVE, and other than lan party games and old multi player RTS like Starcraft and Warcraft, I only game single player.

2 Likes

Single player gaming is still going strong. The problem is these big companies want you to be online at all times so they can suck money out of your wallet constantly using micro-transactions and time renting schemes.

• I am also disgusted at what Bethesda did to the Fallout Franchise just so they could jump on the ‘always online’ bandwagon to try to suck more money out of their customers. Fallout 76 is a gross abomination and I want no part of that experience EVER.
3 Likes

Problem is, nobody told them they also had to be always online :wink:

5 Likes

so… we got to keep buying loot crates, else servers will be killed off…

okay, he says a lot more…

he means to talk about “multiplayer” but “always online single player” crap is also affected

1 Like

I hope the single player game won’t die

1 Like

Don’t worry, it won’t. Indie games will always keep single player gaming alive. And there are plenty of Triple-A titles that are still focusing on the single player experience.

P.S. Cyberpunk 2077 is good now! Go play it!
(and it’s 50% off too)

1 Like

I wish EVE held my interest nowadays, it’s sadly gone the route of P2W and I just can’t justify paying for that kind of experience. I used to have a ton of accounts too, the main reason I got a shitload of monitors.

2 Likes

If you like space games, one that is pretty good, but often overlooked, is X4 Foundations.

It goes on sale a lot as it’s been out for a while now. Just wishlist it, wait for a sale, and pick it up for mega cheap.

If you like space games that give you a ton of freedom, I suggest picking it up. (it’s single player and can run entirely without an internet connection)

3 Likes

Agreed. Took me by surprise and thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 Like

I own every X game and I haven’t touched them, i’m sure they’re great though

2 Likes

Welll… Foundations is good. (the newest X4 game) But the previous ones, lets just say you can skip them and you’ll be fine :wink: Just play the newest one and enjoy!

1 Like

The ratings keep me cautious. All I really want is a modern take on Freelancer.

1 Like

There really isn’t much that is similar to Freelancer these days, this one you would probably enjoy though. It’s got a fun story, the gameplay is not terribly complex, it’s just a fun game in a relatively open world. (Single player of course, as this is the single player thread and I want to stay sort-of on topic)

As with the other, this goes on sale regularly, and it’s a very fun game.

This one is also pretty good, and goes on sale regularly.

And here is 1 more that is pretty good, worth a look, and also goes on sale every so often, it gets updated by the developers occasionally. Just had an update on september 12’th 2022.

I play a lot of space games >.>

4 Likes

I do too, and the last two games I hadn’t ever heard of, thanks!

1 Like

X4 is one of those games where you really have to be in the mood to play and be willing to practically RP your way through the experience, or at least have some sort of grand goal you’re working towards. Then it’s great! But if you’re looking for something that’s going to hold your hand through an adventure, it may result in staring at a screen in confusion or boredom. At least, that’s been my experience with them. I personally love X4 to death, but I have to have some serious free time and be in a thoughtful mood to get sucked in.

On my last X4 playthrough, I found a system with single entrance and built a battlestation armed to the teeth just inside the portal. Took dozens of hours of gameplay to build, but it shredded anything that came through once complete. A worthy goal.

2 Likes

Single player games aren’t going anywhere, ok the trend lately has been that AAA companies make more money on MMO’s, but that imo isn’t a trend that can last for long.

I mentioned this to Pete in the Lounge the other day, but the modern version of Freelancer is Star Citizen and is created to be exactly that by the founder Chris Roberts who created Freelancer in the first place. Whether it holds up to the name, I don’t know. I haven’t really played space games in quite a while.