Is Radeon VII > RX 5700 XT?

Hey,
I’ve seen multiple benchmarks where the Radeon VII outperforms the RX 5700 XT significantly especially for 1440p and 4K and I was wondering is the Radeon VII a more powerful card than the RX 5700 XT or is this just something to do with early RX 5700 XT drivers performing poorly?

Also if I was to buy a new Radeon card and had to pick between the two which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

The Radeon 7 is more powerful GPU.
The issue with Radeon 7 is the proce to performance ratio compared to 5700XT.
5700XT uses significantly less power, produces significantly less heat, it is significantly quieter, all of this while costing significantly less and not really be that much behind…

12% in 4K (smaller difference in lower resolutions) overall is not really worth the 200 or whatever dollars premium.

For non gaming tasks R7 still have it’s uses, I mean HBM have massive bandwidth that helps in plethora of use cases, but not in gaming.

2 Likes

It really depends upon the usage, for gaming, encoding, rendering and machine learning would give the Radeon VII a decent edge… for just gaming alone, the power usage & cost is where it becomes a hard to justify GPU.

Driver wise it’ll take 2-3 months or so before the RX 5700 has solid drivers, even nVidia’s 10-series and 20-series were a pain in the rear for several months as one set of drivers would work perfectly and another would break something else. The only concern I’d have with the Radeon VII is it’ll be a dead-end type of GPU, it was marketed as a gaming/creator card and reviewers were more hyped for gaming performance only.

1 Like