Is my Seagate ironwolf dead ? Will they cover warenty?

Hello :slight_smile:
A couple week ago, my freenas reported a failing drive and excluded it from the pool.

it was showing 64 read error.
So i poped it out, replaced it with a spare one, and started a warranty claim on it.
Good newā€™s ! the warranty end mid august so iā€™m right at the good time !

Just to make sure i could back my butt if they refused the drive because it worked (no hard crash or anything) i did a full smart test on my main computer.

A lot of bad sector, but everything was OKā€¦ i was starting to worry that i wouldnā€™t get a replacement from seagate ā€¦ (those thing cost 365ā‚¬ on amazon ā€¦ i canā€™t just buy a new one :cry: )

So to be extra mega sure i could say the the disk was bad, i started a badblocks. That would surely show me right !

badblocks -b 4096 -vws /dev/sdf
Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
From block 0 to 2441609215
Testing with pattern 0xaa: done                                                 
Reading and comparing: done                                                 
Testing with pattern 0x55: done                                                 
Reading and comparing:  27.43% done, 216:49:21 elapsed. (0/0/0 errors)

not finished yet ā€¦ but i donā€™t like my chances ā€¦
What do you think ? did i just had an issue causing many sector to fail, but now thatā€™s itā€™s relocated all is fine ?
Is this the start of the end for this disk ?

Does any of you already worked with Seagate warranty as a customer and not a company ? How flexible are they about it ?

I no-longer know what the next step it ā€¦

Continue the RMA process. The worst thing Seagate can do is send back your drive, perhaps with updated firmware?

Having said that, based on the SMART report you posted, IMO theyā€™ll honour the warranty as I also see 2 uncorrectable errors and a whole load of hardware ECC errors recovered. Print out the SMART report and put that with the drive in the box when you send it off to Seagate.

PS: I have yet to have a Seagate drive fail on me, so no experience on the RMA process here.

1 Like

Iā€™m in Australia, so probably different, but Iā€™ve sent dozens of drives direct back to Seagate with less obvious intermittent errors and never had any argumentsā€¦
Be aware though that you almost certainly will receive a factory refurbished drive back, not brand new. Iā€™m not sure what exactly that means but itā€™s something some people mind find a bit offensiveā€¦ Never had one of the refurbs die though, so either I got lucky or the refurbs are actually of good quality.

1 Like

Iā€™ve dealt with Seagate and WD on RMAā€™s and they will always send refurbs, even for enterprise grade drives. Itā€™s ā€˜industry standardā€™ at this point.

Run a Seatools long test. If it fails then you will get replacement. At least thatā€™s how Iā€™ve recieved WD replacemnts.

i saw there tool, but i couldnā€™t let my main computer booted on there tool for that long.
My office is a huge mess right now, looking for a french company with a aluminum laser cutter, so i didnā€™t had any space computer on hand to do so.

In the end i sent the drive 3 day ago and they got it yesterday.
We will seeā€¦

Not sure if Seagate has improved or not, but I would never trust their warranty replacements. I bought multiple 1TB enterprise drives with a 5 year warranty. Half of them died before even 1 year was over. They were prompt to send replacements, however one of the 4 drives I received failed Seagate tools own diagnostics and none of the other 3 lasted more than 2 years. My experience is that their warranty is worth absolutely nothing. I hope you have better luckā€¦

I guess Iā€™m fortunate not be be able to comment on the warranty process. Every seagate drive fail I have had always happened well outside of its warranty. Currently have multiple 4TB ironwolf and Exos 10TB but have not had a failure. The ironwolfs have less than a year left and the exos have 4 years left.

Well i didnā€™t got back to this XD
They took the drive in no issue, but the ā€œchecked refurbishedā€ i received didnā€™t work well.
A couple minutes into badblock and it was clicking HARD

I called there support, they sent me a prepaid return label (since iā€™ve already paid once) and i got a brand new drive out of it.
Not the same model number, but same speed, capacity and writing technologies.
No badblock issue after 4 consecutive check, itā€™s back in the spare pile :smiley:

I am understanding of a one-off issue, and it went smoothly aside of that, but ā€œchecked refurbishedā€ shouldnā€™t click ā€¦ maybe shipping issue :man_shrugging:

Always check your disk kid ! take a while but worth it

Itā€™s only a side note, but I had an Ironwolf that was acting up badly. I thought it was the drive too, but then I took it out the pool and create a new pool. That started acting up as well.

But then, I changed the trayless drive and it worked fineā€¦so it was the SATA connector that was bad in the end, so I cancelled the return.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.