Is my 500 psu enough?

Hi forums.

So I want to build my first gaming PC and I'd like to know if my 500 watts PSU is capable of powering my build.

So here's the build:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX  AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card 
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer

I have this PSU laying around which is a CoolerMaster 500w atx eXtreme power (product number RS-500-PCAR-A3 if that can help), it would be great if I could save up my money by using it instead of buying a bigger one, i'm not trying to cut corners, I REALLY don't want to risk this much of my hard earned money by either buying to much or worst, frying up the machine because I don't have enough watts.

thank you very much in advance, you guys are a great community, probably the best that i've seen so far.

I would spend a little bit more money just so you could have some headroom for when the power supply does start losing watts.

That PSU is pretty low-quality, and low-efficiency. For a single 660ti system, I would grab a nice 80+ Gold 550W PSU, like a Rosewill Capstone 550 M, or Seasonic G 550. If you want to be really overkill, get a 650W PSU - there seems to be more selection in that wattage. If you had a really efficienct PSU, like a Seasonic Platinum 650, then you could easily run another 660ti in there, hell, even 670 SLI, but for your uses, 500-550W is plenty. Your PSU will work, but I would recommend getting a new one for better efficiency and to lower the risk of catastrophic explosions.

I a real noob when it comes to power supply, would you mind explaining what you mean by "losing watts"?

Because you're using a high end system, I would recommend you buy a new power supply of at least 650W, with at least 80 Plus Bronze certification, but I'd try to get a Gold Certified power supply.  This Seasonic X650 Gold is on sale right now for $95.  I'd highly recommend that one.  Even if the $95 is gone, it should still be priced around $120.  I'd really recommend you buy that, because you don't want bad power going to such high quality computer parts.  Basic rule of thumb: NEVER skimp out on a power supply.

dont use that old psu whatever you do. terrible 12v amp output. under load it would most likely cake it. remember the power fiqure stated on the unit is its peak output. not continous output. so tread carefully amongst the shady psu market.

invest in the best psu you can afford. everything from seasonic is great. there are other companies that use re-branded seasonic units which are just as good. corsair, xfx and a few others.

anything around the 600w+ is more than enough. 

the psu is the lifeblood of a good stable system. with clean power components last longer as well so it well worth the effort to get the best you can.

best of luck.