Is loud clicking due to thermal expansion normal and acceptible for new gaming monitors?

I just received the Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor after a 2 month wait, and it’s amazing.

However, it appears to have come with a bunch of build issues (or maybe transport damage?):

• First of all it has two clusters of dead pixels, one top center and one top left of the monitor.
  • It has a small gap between the monitor and the edge of the screen where I see the backlight bleed through
  • One of the 12- or so knobs that hold the panel hiding the cables in the back was broken off (this doesn’t really have any real effect though)
  • The integrated speakers straight up don’t work, they appear to not be connected

Most of these issues I don’t care about enough to RMA the monitor, but in addition to all this, the monitor produces some loud clicks, presumably because of thermal expansion. Any time I turn the monitor on after it has been off for a while, I’m treated an hour of loud clicks every 10-30 seconds, and the exact same when I turn the monitor off. The clicks sound exactly like a static electric shock, and they are loud enough to distract me through a headset while playing games.

At first I thought these clicks were way too loud to be “creaking” noise due to thermal expansion, so I assumed it was the broken speakers that made the noise, but they happen even if I unplug the monitor.

Do anybody else here have a Odyssey G9? Is your experience anything like this? If I RMA this monitor, should I expect the next one to have similarly poor build quality?

Well, since you have clusters of dead pixels, I’d rma it if I where you.

3 Likes

double this, this isn’t some cheapo korean cast off

3 Likes

I saw an office get outfitted with new out of box Samsung Ultra-wide 34" all of them had unique problems. One of them the speakers popped every now and then, the others had different ports randomly disconnecting, the others had lines through the displays. Would not recommend.

Yeah I will, I’m just very worried that the thermal expansion creaks/clicks is a common issue as that’s the issue that has bothered me the most, by far.

Dude, it’s an expensive monitor, anything less than a perfect new product out of the box is unacceptable.

Seriously, rma it.

6 Likes

I’m with everyone else when they say that you should RMA a panel with dead pixels, especially such an expensive one like that.

RMA situation aside I think it’s normal for non unibody devices to “suffer” from loud clicks when they contract due to temperature change. Considering also that you’re talking about a curved monitor that’s quite big so it generate a lot of heat, that makes it even worse. Also your unit was surely damaged in shipping and that might’ve made the panel gaps even worse leading to you asking about this.

1 Like

The loud clicks being normal is really what I’m dreading. It’s so damn loud dude, and it keeps going for so damn long. If I RMA this monitor and get a new one that still makes this noise, I think I just have to return it and get a different monitor…

I have a quite old TV/monitor made by Samsung and it clicks when AC is cooling it after has been on for a while. I don’t know how loud the clicks from my old monitor compares to your, but this is just to say that I think it’s a Samsung trademark lol

My LG 27GL650F is not clicking when I turn on AC and it cools off.

I own the monitor below which should be similar to yours:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RTwkcf/samsung-c49rg9-490-5120x1440-120-hz-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza

The first I received had one stuck pixel and I immediately returned it. My second one does not have any stuck or dead pixels. (I mad sure by showing a black screen and a white screen and then “scanning” the monitor with my eyes for dead pixels. My nose more or less touched the screen :-D)

Anyway, I experience these cracking/clicking sounds as well, but only when it’s turned off. I also assume this is the result of thermal expansion and shouldn’t be an issue.

I now own this monitor for about a year and can also say that it is the most amazing monitor I’ve ever had. If it got defect, I would definitely purchase the same one again. However, unfortunately for you the clicking sound does neither stop, nor does it become less. It stays the same. If this is a deal breaker for you, then you should probably return it. The only odd thing is that I wouldn’t hear the clicking sound when wearing headphones, but people are different when it comes to noise perception.

I suspect the noises coming from my monitor are quite a bit louder than yours, if you don’t notice them when wearing headphones :stuck_out_tongue: It sounds like somebody is flicking the back of the monitor quite hard every 10-20 seconds or so. I have also had monitors in the past that have cracked a bit when warming up, but nothing like this.

No it’s also not very often and rather irregular.

Another peculiar thing I’ve noticed is that last week I got a new desk and also moved the desk position and since then I can’t remember having heard the clicking. I mean, I do leave the room when the PC/monitor is turned off, but the desk is in my bedroom. As a result, I have noticed theses sounds in the night.

Thus, I’m no entirely sure if the monitor created them, the desk or a combination of the two.

I’d return it and find a new one

if that’s possible

this shit looks fucked up enough