Is Liquid Cooling Overrated?

temperature is just a social construct

Either you didn’t understand the video or you took from it what you wanted to see.

At 50C he got 4.2Ghz. At 0C, 4260. At -75C, 4300.

The correct takeaway from this is he hit severely diminishing returns starting around 50c. Beyond that, temp didn’t matter.

and especially on workloads that have short bursts where the extra thermal mass is nice, but then also for higher performance.

that perfectly demonstrates the point, above 50c the clocks started falling.

1 Like

and how do you keep your CPU under 50c at load :^)

Wait what did we watch the same test… You also cant measure it with LN2 as consistently… Things get weird at that low of temperatures. And tbch his data showed that the clocks start to falter above 55 C… If your not liquid cooling your not going to get those temps consistent and your not gonna get that nice overclock. So LC cant be dead because OC is not dead and nor will it ever be its the whole spirit of building PCs really

I cant even with my expensive liquid cooling :^)

poor Ancient_Evil_God had problems keeping it under tjmax with his air cooler.

oh shit liquid cooling is overrated

Temps simply didn’t matter below 55C or so, yes. That is the same conclusion I reached.

Stock wraith prism will hit around 75C under all-core load, that’s around 4050 versus 4200. 150Mhz is a 3% gain for aftermarket cooling, and that’s the worst-case scenario, most of the time you aren’t under all-core load. So do you need aftermarket cooling? Nah.

Is it overrated already? For Zen2, yes, I think so.

That said, if I were to personally upgrade to Zen2, I would use a NH-D15. But I’m an enthusiast, as is everybody here. I’m not talking about us.

yeah, sff builds basically dont matter and you’re an idiot if you want something that might fit in a low profile and still be able to perform.

no, it wont (on a 3900x), and it will be screaming the whole time its not doing that.

thats what this thread is for. people like us. if you arent going to talk about us, then get out.

1 Like

lets talk about me

Thanks for the e-vite, but I think I’ll stick around, as you are not the arbiter on what people talk about on the forum.

That 3 percent gain is meaningful in quite a few benches. Not to bench the boost is meaningful especially for say someone running blender on a Zen 2. You want that consistent performance. Not to mention longevity of the chip. You dont want to be running at 75-95 C you want to be down below 55 especially when you overclock so LC definitely helps with that. Is it more expensive yes. Is it overrated for the average consumer… Maybe if your talking about people who DONT buy a 3900X … if they buy a ryzen 5 yeah stock cooling is fine but LC is still the creme de la creme on the higher end chips.

Also especially now that you can liquid cool memory chipsets to keep it more stable on a higher OC which shows SIGNIFICANT benefit on a zen 2 chipset… Id definitely say its here to stay. Is it worth it vs high end air cooling… nah is it worth it vs stock… totally

It’s definitely the creme de la creme! It’s just not necessary for most people, is all I’m saying.

If you’re going to spew misinformation then I dont have to be the arbiter.

implying people actually use watercooling for the performance and dont just like looking at it in their tempered glass window

I would say an AIO is very nice for most people. You can keep the temps lower… and its quieter… (assuming you dont push a crazy O.C. ) AIOs fall under liquid cooling and they are better than stock… they are cheap and quieter than stock

If you have a problem with my posts please feel free to report them rather than trying to back-seat moderate someone else’s forum and further derail the thread. Thanks!

@PhaseLockedLoop: They’re definitely better, and quieter, and pretty reasonably priced these days. But the stock cooler is included in the box, tough to beat that.