Is Liquid Cooling Overrated?

AMD CPUs and both AMD and Nvidia GPUs can’t be meaningfully overclocked these days. By meaningful I’m saying you’ll get a couple percent, but nothing noticeable like 10 years ago. I’m sure Intel CPUs will quickly follow this trend.

Once that happens, cooling performance past a baseline typically pretty close to the stock cooler basically won’t matter. That’s what we’re seeing today with the stock AMD coolers, they’re good enough.

Better coolers on the GPU side still matter for AMD because they use blowers. Not really about performance, they’re just really loud. Once they move to axial cooling that won’t matter either.

My point here is that not only is liquid cooling overrated, pretty soon aftermarket cooling will be overrated too.

1 Like

You dont just get a better cooler because you want to overclock. Liquid coolers in particular have other advantages that you’ve either intentionally glossed over or you dont understand.

2 Likes

Source. Thats bullocks dude. Just EFI issues tbch. Got to wait until they release fixes. Both companies have made statements on this. Ryzen first gen wasnt great but boy when you hit 4.0-4.2 GHz did it provide a significant jump. Same with overclocking say a 1080 Ti on the GPU side…

Threadripper would like to speak with you

It will never be overrated. Not so long as their is a community that loves to do it. Show me your numbers. Prove to me your claim that aftermarket cooling doesnt provide any meaningful advantage. Water cooling will never die because its efficient. It takes away a lot of heat and soaks it in the liquid…and gets rid of it in a radiator. Not to mention theres an aesthetic aspect. So the whole liquid cooling is gonna die stuff is just none sense

I don’t use a liquid cooler on my computer because i overclock, I use one because because linux sucks and web browsers don’t decode video properly so I have to dunk my PC in the bathtub to avoid it melting into a pile of slag while watching parakeet memes on youtube

1 Like

Fucking firefox am I right?

TBF chromes a piece of shit too. I mean why should it take 2 GB of memory to open a forum… it really shouldnt

1 Like

I am (obviously) talking about consumer hardware here, not threadripper.

AMD BIOS revisions will get their chips to hit boost more often on lightly-threaded workloads, there’s no reason to believe they’ll allow them to overclock.

My dad used to build hi-fi equipment when he was a kid. You could get much better stereo sound than the tinny little radio his parents had in the living room. There are still people building their own hi-fi sets today, enthusiasts. But there’s no real reason to do so for the vast majority of the population.

That’s what you call commodification. Computers are well on their way to the same thing.

Threadripper is consumer hardware. It might be on the higher end workstation consumer type but its still consumer segement. AMD’s business segement is non overclockable EPYC…

Source?

Liquid cooling has never been a stock PC from HP kind of thing dude I dont understand what your on about.

Also higher end audio equip is definitely still a thing. Audiophiles didnt just die LOL

at least chromium has an out of tree patch to allow proper decoding

Heresy it needs to be standard… I need my bird memes on a raspi otherwise all I got is scrambled eggs :wink:

liquid cool your raspi to keep your eggs fresh

All day every day.

Should I put a monster rad on it?

nah, just dunk it in a tank

https://store.hp.com/app/tech-takes/best-hp-liquid-cooled-gaming-pcs

(Not that it invalidates your point, just sayin’.)

Of course high-end audio is still a thing. But only serious enthusiasts build their own hi-fi equipment.

they are working on a new agesa for the current chips to get them boosting higher, but the thing is, its totally temperature dependant so if anything better cooling solutions are going to become more commonplace because your clock speed will depend on it.

building your own audio equipment != buying a closed loop from amazon

1 Like

Gaming-nexus did a test with LN2, it isn’t as temperature dependent as you might expect from previous CPUs. It may well be BIOS-dependent, we don’t really know as it isn’t out yet.

I saw that test and it really is.

you should research it more as things like the 3900x dont clock as high above 75c despite tjmax being 95c

it really is
t. R9 290x owner

Anyone who wants decent surround sound will own high end hifi equipment. Its not even about building it. Neither is liquid cooling. LC used to be way back in the day but now you get everything built to spec its like putting together a lego kit. If it was gonna die these companies would not invest so heavily in its future and neither would HP put it on their system… Granted HP systems are not a good measure of custom loops or anything.

I know for a fact when I built my dads PC he specifically asked for it though I recommended stock reliable cooling he said he liked the fact that he could rely on water to remove the heat and refill the loop now and then. If a normal person like my dad on a linux PC is asking for it… its not gonna be dead man

This is why liquid cooling is going to be much better… especially if you cool the chiplets more consistently… it will give you a consistently better boost

if you dont flow your own solder on your hand place smds to build your motherboard, dont even talk to me.

1 Like