Is kingoroot legit

I’ve not rooted a phone before and am somewhat dubious of sites that claim it can be done on a device without a pc. I was hoping someone with some experience in that area could steer me in the right direction.
I was looking at kingoroot.
https://www.kingoapp.com
I’m in the process of moving and won’t have access to my computer for a week or two.

I was spooked by it too, but after looking around on XDA and watching a backtrace on my phone, yeah, its legit. Mostly its a scanning and reporting system for different hardware platforms though.

I would not trust that even a little. Is it possible that it works, sure. Do you want to risk security on your device to an unknown app that is intended to enable the highest level of access to your phone? Probably not. Who knows what its doing besides what you actually want it to do, though the same could be said for many root apps.

No worries back to the drawing board
It’s a throwaway phone anyhu

I rooted my backup phone with it it worked fine I wouldn’t root your daily driver but rootiing is fun

Use Magisk, but don’t get it anywhere else but XDA Developer’s Forum, first result on Google was a site that offered one with malware in it.

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll give that a shot later.

Just going to leave the /r/Android Discord response for King root here:

Kingroot and Kingoroot are Chinese botnet root installers. They root your device, but they bundle it with shady uninstallable apps and cannot be trusted. Root access provides these apps with a great deal of control over your device. Ask for a safer alternative first

1 Like

Has it been proven they install botnets? I was under the impression they installed Chinese appstores with tons of pirated apps, that was their actual purpose.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn’t use one of those programs. I only buy Android devices with unlocked bootloaders.