Is it possible to set up 2 WAN and 2 LAN ports aggregation on Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4

I was able to get Xfinity gigabit at my house when I did I made sure I picked up the ARRIS SURFboard Docsis 3.1 SB8200 which has 2 active gig ports. Currently I have the set up the as I did when I had the 600 down package: eth0=WAN eth1/eth2=LAN eth3=EMPTY. After the upgrade I max out at 820 down when I run through the router. Direct connect to my computer I get 980 down no problem. Eth1 goes to a 10 gig smart switch which has aggregation possible and eth2 goes to a POE switch for my camera system. I would like to aggregate eth0 and eth3 as WAN and aggregate eth1 and eth2 as LAN and run everything through my 10 gig switch. If that isn’t possible can I load balance in the same manor. I stream online a lot and I have a lot of people who enjoy my PLEX. And since the ports are available I would love to get the most out of this as possible.

Yes the Ubiquiti line of routers support LACP.
Does both of your devices support LACP? I suspect you can do it on your 10G switch, but I have a funny feeling that your ISP provided device will not, unless it is a non-residential modem.
I own this router (2 of them in redundant/failover configs)

Not sure what good you will get from doing any of the LACP except if you use the setup on 2 devices and allow for failure of one. I can’t see the how the “aggregation” will work over the router with only one side working.

Plus if you are running any form of bandwidth control on that router, it will slow down your total bandwidth by over utilizing the CPU on the router.

Any “smart” settings, i.e. “Traffic Analysis”, being used on that router will cause loss of network performance as well.

You don’t want to use any variety of bonding on an edgerouter. You can load balance WAN ports (it’s one of the setup wizards), but I agree there’s no point if both connections are going to the same device.

Hardware offloading doesn’t support aggregated links, so a lot of the router’s performance and efficiency is lost if bonding is enabled.

Just to be clear, you will see not get any better WAN speeds from utilizing both ports on your Arris. You pay for gigabit, you get gigabit. You don’t 1 gigabit per port. The discrepancy between your router and direct connection WAN speeds is most likely attributable to some process on the router (firewall, NAT, QOS, etc).

From what i have read and tested each port will deliver up to 1 gig at the same time as 2 separate networks. So in theory the modem is set up as a 2 gig modem separated into 1 gig per port. Each port does have a different IP from what my computer is telling me in IP config.

The only thing i have running on the router is traffic analysis to see what is pulling the most bandwidth. I have Unifi AP’s through out my house so i use a Unifi controller for all my wireless control.

I was looking at the Load balance option also but i noticed that i couldn’t then aggregate the other 2 ports that would go to my switch.

Is there a way to do that?

In your statement

So you believe that your internet provider is giving you a 2gb unbonded network?
What country do you live in? Who is your provider?

This would be great if this is true, can’t even get that for commercial properties if that is truly the case.
If this is not, then the whole conversation is mute.

Edge Router, bonding (2.0 firmware provides offloading)

I don’t know if you can get any performance difference using LACP configurations on the intranet side of your network.

Plus, disable the traffic watch and check your speeds they will increase afterward. The CPU on this router is not fast enough to do that plus give you 1 gig speeds.

i

1 Like

That is sure what it seamed like when i had my linux tower direct connected to the #2 port and my windows tower connected to the network through the #1 port. I have Xfinity in the US.

I have Edge 2.08 so I am on the newest firmware available. I will try disabling that and see what kind of speed i get. I will also direct connect both towers individually and run a speed test on each.

When i bond eth1 and 2 i do have a vlan10 for my wireless friends network so i would only add
“set interfaces bonding bond0 vif 10 address 10.0.10.1/24” correct

Missed that, thanks!

Run two speed tests simultaneously on both ports. If you buy 1gb internet, the uplink will be capped at that. My ISP modem/router has 5 ports and I have 5 public IPs, but my overall data is 400/50. Makes no difference how many ports, networks or addresses I use.

You could definitely incur a throughput penalty from enabling traffic analysis.

Yes, you can and since that can now coexist with hardware offloading, no reason why you shouldn’t. AFAIK, you’ll have to set it up in cli or the config tree gui though. I don’t think you can do it from the main dashboard.

i was able to get 1 gig speed when speed testing them at the same time.

So from the sounds of it the best thing to do is set up load balancing for eth0 and eth3 for WAN then use the CLI to bond the eth1 and eth2 to my network so there is more than one lane to get to the internet.

Is the Arris 3rd party? You might have just found a loophole. Tbh, I’m surprised that the uplink is even capable of speeds over 1gb (the port, not the fiber itself).

I bought it myself. Xfinity / comcast rents the crappiest modem / wifi switch in the world. for now $15 a month so after a year this modem will have paid for its self.

1 Like

I’m thinking this weekend I want to do some testing

Should I use eth0 and eth1 for the WAN and eth2 and eth3 for LAN. Or stick with my plan of 0&3 for WAN and 2&3 for LAN.

First try and aggregate (bond) etho and eth3 for the wan and see how that goes.

If my thinking is correct in CLI the commands will be

configure

delete interfaces ethernet eth0

delete interfaces ethernet eth3

set interfaces ethernet eth0

set interfaces ethernet eth3

commit

set interfaces bonding bond0 mode 802.3ad

set interfaces bonding bond0 hash-policy layer2

set interfaces ethernet eth0 bond-group bond0

set interfaces ethernet eth3 bond-group bond0

commit ; save

Then set up an aggregate (bond) eth1 and eth2 for the LAN

configure

delete interfaces ethernet eth1

delete interfaces ethernet eth2

set interfaces ethernet eth1

set interfaces ethernet eth2

commit

set interfaces bonding bond1 mode 802.3ad

set interfaces bonding bond1 hash-policy layer2

set interfaces bonding bond1 vif 10 address 192.168.10.1/24 (Current VLAN ip)

set interfaces ethernet eth1 bond-group bond1

set interfaces ethernet eth2 bond-group bond1

commit ; save

I’ll test speeds and see what I get.

So i was able to get them bonded but i was not able to set the set to my net work to hand out IP addresses. But i was not able to get the set that goes to the internet up and running. I am not sure what i have to do to have them receive the IP address from my ISP. I did get into the modem and turn on Link Aggregation once i did that and it restarted it’s self both ports the lights were blinking.

I figure i need to set the "bond0 as DHCP so it will receive my ISP’s IP address. And set my my bond1 to start my internal network.

I think i need to set the local IP at the time of creation.

set interfaces bonding bond1 mode 802.3ad

set interfaces bonding bond1 hash-policy layer2

set interfaces bonding bond1 address "192.168.1.1/24 " (current network ip)

set interfaces bonding bond1 vif 10 address "192.168.10.1/24 " (current VLAN ip)

set interfaces ethernet eth1 bond-group bond1

set interfaces ethernet eth2 bond-group bond1

Then go to “Services” and set up a “DHCP Server” under that IP. Then under “Services” still, go to “DNS” and set the interface to Bond1.

If this sounds right let me know that way i don’t just run down this rabbit hole again.

The other thing i cant figure out is how to set bond0 (Internet) bonded pair set to DHCP.

Does anyone have an idea how i can do that?

1 Like

Did you figured out how to do this. I got edge router 4 going to a nighthawk wan whuc is gg ex6000 and want its wAN to be aggregerated with EDGE

I did. I had to modify the firmware file to set the ports to bond properly. I saved 2 backups 1 original and named it that and then one i called bonded of the Firmware used 7Zip to edit the tar\config\config.boot. and added these lines to the config format to bond ports eth2 & 3 as WAN lines.

interfaces {
ethernet eth0 {
address dhcp
description Internet
duplex auto
firewall {
in {
ipv6-name WANv6_IN
name WAN_IN
}
local {
ipv6-name WANv6_LOCAL
name WAN_LOCAL
}
}
}
bonding bond1 {
address 192.168.1.1/24
description Local
hash-policy layer2
mode 802.3ad
vif 10 {
address 192.168.10.1/24
description VLAN10
firewall {
in {
name VLAN10_IN
}
local {
name VLAN10_LOCAL
}
}
}
}
ethernet eth1 {
duplex auto
speed auto
}
ethernet eth2 {
bond-group bond1
duplex auto
speed auto
}
ethernet eth3 {
bond-group bond1
duplex auto
speed auto
}
loopback lo {
}
}
port-forward {
auto-firewall enable
hairpin-nat enable
lan-interface bond1
wan-interface eth0
}
service {
then you have to change anything that has to do with eth1 being the dns port to bond1

" dns {
forwarding {
cache-size 10000
listen-on bond1
"
eth3 is the SFP port so I got a good quality SFP to copper adapter and it has worked great. you can do the same thing with eth1 & 2 as i did with 2 and 3. I did manage to Bond the ports eth0 & 1 as bonded internet ports but Comcast has a screwed up firmware they upload to my modem that has 2 internet ports on it that can be aggerated but I had to reset it every 2 days.

if you need any help with editing the firmware just let me know.

1 Like

Wow. Amazing. I never thought would have a reply. Thanks a lot.

So what I did I just put the SFP to ER4 and then using your awesome guide did the bonding on eth1 & eth2 to my Netgear Nighthawk as Dual Wan 1g+1G. That new router has dual wan support. It could see the aggregated WAN. Then ran aggregate port 4 and 5 from netgear to a 10G switch and my pc 10G card. But still I am only getting 1G up/down speeds. Unfortunately the company router does not supports aggregation. Would love to know how you achieved it. I still have the crappy router from the provider on which 2 lan ports runs 1G+1G… Thanks a lot . Will wait for your reply.

@Gory_Glory I think i need to know a bit more about your set up. Mine goes from modem to my ER4 then to a 16 port US‑16‑XG 10 gig switch. Then to a Buffalo 12 port 10 gig switch. I have ubiquiti access points through out my house for my wireless.
ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 as (2) 1 gig ports that are capable to be aggerated but I could not get to work correctly

Are you using the Netgear as a router or just as an access point?

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I am still having issues with this. However, I wanted to bond as Bond0 Eth0 and Eth8 (for WAN) and wanted to Bond Eth1 and Eth3 but I just can’t seem to get it to stick. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

@bobby_joe I see your new here welcome.

When your aggerating / bonding ports your want to use the ones next to each other Eth0 Eth1 this could be your main issue. You also need to know what your modem aggerates at (LACP, failover, balanced) those all have different modes. Bonding for LAN is actually easier because you can see on the switch your connecting to what the aggeration is.

Hey @oumpa31,
I have Ubiquiti Networks 12-Port EdgeRouter 12 Advanced Network Router and i have 4 Starlink internet and i want to combine the bandwidth .For example, you could channel bond 2Gbps ethernet with a 1Gbps 5G connection to create a single 3Gbps connection.