Is it possible to put 2 different GPUs in a Linux system and run them together?

Hey guys, currently running a Manjaro Illyria system with an Intel I5 6600k, 12GB of RAM and an MSI B150M mortar mobo. I am running an AMD Sapphire 270x 4GB.

I am currently using 3 monitors which means all of my ports for monitors have been used. I am thinking of getting more monitors (because why not?) and I am wondering if it is possible to use a spare a AMD GPU (Gigabyte Amd Radeon R7 240) in my system with the current GPU to give me more monitor ports? does manjaro have support for this?

would it also be possible to use it with SLI and passthroughs etc?

Thanks for any help

I say why not? I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t accept the card. Reminds me of the old PhysX days when people would get a high end card for GFX and then a lower end one to use as solely the PhysX card. You should be fine. Drop it in and see what you get. Might need to specify in the books which one is primary and which one is secondary but after that you should be good.

1 Like

I had problems getting my GPro4200 (customized R7 250) and R9 Fury to be picked up by Fedora 29.

Try it. Worst outcome it does not work.

Should work with a little tweaking. You most likely will have to do some manual X11 configuration though as I don’t think the GUI helpers are up to the task.

The Arch wiki has some interesting articles. Namely these ones here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead (under Xinerama they provide an example of 2 GPUs each driving 2 monitors but I would try xrandr first as it’s a more modern approach) and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extreme_Multihead

As you already have the 2nd GPU trying won’t cost you anything so go for it.

/edit: It “just works”. Just tried it and enabled my Radeon 7 I usually use for my VM. Started X and run “arandr” (gui helper to xrandr). Went to the “Outputs” menu, made sure the Radeon 7 is set to “active” and bam. Just works.

HDMI-A-1-2 is my Radeon 7 attached display. So yeah have fun with more monitors :slight_smile:

1 Like